A belated "Hi"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paula

Reaction score
Hi!

Though I joined this forum some time ago, work/family obligations have taken most of my spare time lately. I've posted a couple of times in another thread already, but thought I should make a formal introduction.

I got involved in model engine building back in the late eighties, but have been suffering an extended absence from the hobby due to a cross-country move, and the need for selling off many of my tools ( :(). By now I've just about re-established my shop to the point where I can start building again. I don't run across many other ladies in the machining hobby, which kind of puzzles me, as I find it a most relaxing and rewarding pastime, and the challenges involved help keep a person young.

Some of my completed models include Phil Duclos' Odds'n Ends Hit & Miss engine, the D&M #11 steam engine (pictured in the above linked thread), Shelley's Stovepipe Domestic, DeBolt's Stickney engine, Dettmer's half-scale John Deere, and a 2-cylinder Maytag model 72 from Norm Brocklesby. Upcoming projects include a Stuart 10V, Jerry Frisbie's 3/10 scale John Deere, Lone Star's 8-cycle Aermotor, and a 1945 Thompson single-cylinder vertical engine (whew!)

Anyway, like others have noted, this seems to be a very nice place to hang out, learn from others, and maybe offer advice. I already recognize a few of the members' handles here from over on Practical Machinist (where I moderate the South Bend forum), so at least it doesn't seem too unfamiliar a place. I'm looking forward to trading words with some of you nice folks! ;D

Paula

Here is an equally belated "welcome" Paula. I am sure you accomplishments as well as your perspective from a woman's point of view can and will add much to the forum.

Bill

Welcome to HEME Paula.

Impressive list of models there!
wwp.gif
;)

Rick

Hi Paula, welcome to the forum. The steam engine model pictured in the other thread is very nice... beautiful work. I would sure like to see some pictures of your other models if you get time.

Chuck

Paula,

Welcome aboard! We are certainly glad to have you. Feel free to contribute anytime.

I saw the thread that your steam engine was pictured in, and it is excellent work. Many thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing more!!

W/E

Paula
Welcome aboard. I'll second the others on that being an impressive build list. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Psssst.... Rick.... no spitting, we got a lady in the room.

Steve

Welcome! :)

As was said earlier....we want pictures of all those nice engines you mentioned!

It appears from your profile that you are in Indiana. Will you be attending Cabin Fever in York, PA or the N.A.M.E.S. show in Toledo, Ohio or the Mideast Model show in Zanesville, Ohio this coming year?

I like pictures but I like watching engines run in person better ;D

Welcome!
The more model builders we have here makes it more fun for everyone.

We all help when we can and learn when we can't.

Gail in NM,USA

Welcome Paula ! Yup, ditto on pictures. We'd all love to see your toys, errrr, ahh, creations :D

Mike

Paula,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Regards
Bob

Paula, I am glad that you are here, next time I post and I say "Thanks Fellows" I will now say "Thanks fellow and Paula" for all the information and knowledge that can be gained here, I will have to get a lot better and live to be 400 years old to come close to catch up with you fine folk, thanks again everone, Lathe Nut

WOW, a full fledged model builder to help us out. Welcome Paula and we don't discriminate here (unlike the PM BB used to)

Hi Paula :)

Welcome and glad to have you on board. I'm going to get my glasses polished up so I am ready when you start posting pictures of all those impressive engines you have built.

cheers

Don

Wow, you guys sure know how to welcome a new member! Thanks! I've been rummaging thru the HMEM archives, and I must say there is some amazing talent on board. You can get an education in advanced machining just hanging out here.
bow.gif
Also, this is the first Model Engineering forum I've come across that doesn't seem like a deserted warehouse --- people actually post here. (Imagine that!) You must be doing something right.

I will round up some pictures of my models to post over in the Photos and Videos section. Most of the pictures are "pre-digital", so I will need to do some scanning.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Paula

Paula:
Welcome. My wife is a little bit involved in the hobby as she has worked with me designing and building her own engine. It a a heart shaped oscillator made mostly of Corian and named Rosy. I have gotten several comments from folks at show about the engine looking a bit feminine my response "Yes it is. But how many guys can say there wives have come out into the shop and built there own engine." She also attends the ME shows and explains our engines to the public.
Elaine is affectionately know around here as" Mrs Falcon" and has put in here $.02 on occasion under my sign on.I have not talked her into setting up her own yet.
well a picture is in order here I guess.
DSCF3887.jpg

and here is a link to a closer photo of our display also there are some close ups in the gallery.
Tin's Little Engines
Tin

Welcome Paula and not trying to be sexist (which means I am I suppose) its great to see the ladies getting in on the act. We have a lady in the UK Cherry Hill (Hinds) and I would say she is one of the best model engineers in the world! Her work is of almost unbelievable standards. She even makes sure the flats of bolts are orientated the same way.

I have found a couple of images of her. The first link is a cover photo taken 40 years ago......

scan0003-1.jpg]http:

And just one of her models ......

scan0002-1.jpg

She is a special talent and proof, if needed that our hobby is NOT gender reliant. It is a shame that more ladies aren't involved but I suppose in my house if Sandy got interested I would cry! :big:

So welcome, welcome, welcome :bow:

Jadecy said:
It appears from your profile that you are in Indiana. Will you be attending Cabin Fever in York, PA or the N.A.M.E.S. show in Toledo, Ohio or the Mideast Model show in Zanesville, Ohio this coming year?

Probably not. I did attend the N.A.M.E.S. show one year (when it was in Wyandotte), and I attended the Portland show (when I was more interested in hit & miss engines). While there is much to see and do at these shows, and it's especially nice to meet the individuals behind some of the fantatstic work featured in the hobby sites and publications, overall I found the experience a bit exasperating. Something akin to "sensory overload"(?) One of the reasons I pursue this hobby is relaxation/de-stressing, and between the long drive, the gasoline cost, the crowds, the noise, etc... to me it seemed a less enjoyable experience than I was expecting. Just my opinion, of course, since most people seem to really enjoy the show experience.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome!

Paula

Paula said:
Anyway, thanks for the welcome!

Oooo....ps ........... ::) .............. as usual I appear to be late ............... welcome aboard Paula 8)

CC

Latest posts

Back