The Moriya Story -- short form !

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Jim. Yes I too have a box of SS tube from smaller garden lights, about 5/8 and 3/4" OD, put away for a rainy day/smaller Stirling engine. I had to search a bit to find the bigger light, but there it was! And thanks for the answers to my questions. The 2" square aluminium bar has arrived so will be starting machining fins tomorrow. Making enlarged workshop copies of all the drawings today.

I am a thousand miles north of Brisbane, outside Cairns, so it does get a bit warm up here in the North. Fans are an essential of life for six months of the year or more. So plenty of opportunity to impress my visitors with a running Moriya on the table for cooling.

I spent this last (northern) summer not too far from you in Missoula, Montana, and it was warm enough there through July and August -- 100F on some days. Unheard of when I went to college there 35 years ago and stayed on for a few extra years. Not what I was expecting at all. Definitely Moriya weather!

Cheers mate
Pete

I built the Moriya fan about 10 years ago. It has never run for over 20 minutes. I have recently purchased the Moriya 2 book. I hope to improve performance of the engine. Any ideas??

I built the Moriya fan about 10 years ago. It has never run for over 20 minutes. I have recently purchased the Moriya 2 book. I hope to improve performance of the engine. Any ideas??
Hello Tom Jamboretz ...

In answer to a similar query in Model Engineer back in 1980, Prof. Chaddock began his reply with the following astute observation:

"The hot air engine, built to a published design, which 'won't go' is usually a sign of excessive friction, leakage, or both"

So first it is a matter of carefully tracking down where either of these two culprits might be doing their mischief. Since you have the book, reading the following sections may be helpful in this regard: page 6 on the displacer, page 14 on the piston and cylinder fit, and pages 20-24 on the general assembly.

Then, if you wish some very specific 'ideas', send me a PM with details.

Latest posts

Back