50 tooth gear info

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basement_guy

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a emco 5 compact lathe. I bought it second hand. Not all the change gears are with the lathe. Some off the gears included are plastic and some are steel.

I want to make extra change gears. Some time ago i made a nice deal and have some gearcutters available.
Now the questions:
*Is aluminum a good choice for material? (I have a lot available.)
*I want to make a 50 tooth gear. I don't have the gearcutter number 6 (35-54 tooth) Is it a big problem to make it with the gearcutter number 7 (55- 134 teeth)?

Wouter

Aluminum will work fine. PVC, too. They will both last the past the life of your lathe.

The larger the gear, the smaller the space between the teeth, so your gear will probably be a little tight. Cut it and check the fit against another gear. If it is too tight, move it a half a smidge and cut it all again, making the slots a little wider. For your intended use, it will work fine.

If you don't have anything to draw your gears, download this:

www.gearotic.com

It will tell you what size blank you need and show you what the teeth look like. You can't print or save anything unless you buy it, but it still gives you useful data for free.

I own it and use it all the time.

Steve Fox

FYI,
The width of the slot (cutter width) will probably work out to be half-way between cutters 5 and 7. In other words, width of 5 plus width of 7 divided by two.

This is my setup. As this is the first gear I make any comments are welcome.

2013-02-24%252011.06.24.jpg

2013-02-24%252011.06.46.jpg

2013-02-24%252011.07.05.jpg

I would support both ends of the arbor , just in case it grabbed support will also quieten it .

Basement Guy,

Congratulations on your problem-solving skill and on making your first gear.

I agree with what has been said about additional support.

Latest posts

Back