5 Cylinder Radial Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejcheli

Reaction score
Well to start off with I'd like to say this project is going to take a LONG time. Progress will undoubtedly be slow and far and few between posts. That being said lets get to the project details.

So anyone that knows me knows that I absolutely love radial engines. I'm a big aviation fan and the radial is just iconic, powerful, and is usually exposed somewhat or totally on the nose of an airplane so you can see it. I found a set of plans on these forums for a nitro powered 5 cylinder radial that would fly model airplanes. Awesome as I myself fly model planes but I really like "desk models" so I can show em off, they stay clean, and can sit in the comfort of home and watch them run on compressed air. To that end, I will be modifying these plans to turn this awesome engine into a (hopefully) functioning display piece.

Here are some renderings of the parts I am drawing up in Autodesk Inventor. At the moment, they are entirely unmodified and strait from the blueprints but one change I can already see myself making is the back plate for the crankcase will be machined from clear acrylic in order to see the pistons in action! Not much more information than that right now but if anyone is interested I will be posting here from time to time on my progress.

Eric

camhousing.jpg

crankcase.jpg

cylinderhead.jpg

Latest posts

Back