5 cylinder air motor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehuckss396

Model Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
After watching along with a few of these compressed air motor builds, I decided I wanted to make another one. This one doesn't have a name but it was designed by a local fellow here in michigan. The metal club I belong to is going to start a team build of this motor in a few days.

I decided to build it 1/3rd scale. I have all the pieces made and now i need to disassemble it and give it a final polish and fire it up!! When I get her going I'll post some final pictures and a video.

DSCN1898.JPG

DSCN1888.JPG

Great build, up to your usual high standards, I see! That's a rotary engine, right?

Chuck

Steve, that's a great looking project, first-rate work. I saw something very similar at NAMES a few years back. Now I regret not buyng the plans set when I was there. It's a mystery to me how those rotary engines work.

DB

Beautiful looking parts Steve! :bow:

I am looking forward to the follow up posts on this one.

Rick

The assembly is complete. I just need to make a fitting to get some air in there and see if it runs. I also think the 2 screws in the rear of the mount need to be swapped with some stainless screws.

DSCN1907.JPG

DSCN1905.JPG

DSCN1904.JPG

Oh yeah, I can't wait to see this one running. ;D

Beautiful build Steve! Congratulations on you successful build. :bow: :bow:
You have the ability (and the eyesight) to take a small engine and build it even smaller than I could ever imagine building one. I remember 'trying' to look at the tiny pieces parts on your table at NAMES and being astonished. :eek:

I would love to try building one myself. Although, I may have to double its size so I can see what I'm doing.

Where can I get the plans?

-MB

Beautiful work.

When you said "give it a polish" you weren't kidding.

That's a well polished looking engine, like mirror finish.

Excellent craftsmanship.

Steve, can you describe or provide a basic sketch of how the valving works?

It looks like the tubes that go to the tops of the cylinders are for both intake and exaust. Or are they just for intake, and the cylinders exhaust through drilled ports on the cylinders when they reach the bottom of their stroke?

-MB

Metal Butcher said:
I would love to try building one myself. Although, I may have to double its size so I can see what I'm doing.

Where can I get the plans?

The engine is not small at all. The crankcase requires a 3-1/2 inch piece of round bar and the
cylinders are 2 inch. The engine stands about 9-1/2 inches tall. Even in 1/2 scale it would still be a managable size.

The plans were purchased at the NAMES show in 08 from Scott LaBombard. He is the guy that won the sherline contest with that highly polished eliptical in brass.

I

It is very simple to show but very hard to explain. There is a transfer of air between the crankcase and the crankcase support from 30 to 90 degrees in the rotation that forces the engine to rotate. The air is then forced out of the cylinder thru the same tube from 270 to 330 degrees as the piston returns to TDC.

The intake and exhaust is ported thru the crankcase support.

hobby said:
When you said "give it a polish" you weren't kidding.

Thanks Hobby.

Believe it or not that is just what i consider a "standard" polish. I could spend alot more time and do a "show" polish. Most people cant tell the difference, but a show polish removes every imperfection before polishing. I just made all the divots and bumps shiny also and you really need to look hard to see them.

Damn, Steve, that sure is shiny!

I almost expected to see red tuck-and-rolled leather on the base ;D

Very nice.

cfellows said:
Great build, up to your usual high standards, I see! That's a rotary engine, right?

Chuck

Thanks Mr. Fellows. It was seeing the build of your opposed 4 that pushed me over the edge and made me want to do this. I just love these little air motors. I would like to do something like yours some day. 1/4 scale of course!!

steve,
Very Nice!! Spend a lot of time at the buffing wheel didn't we! :big: Beautiful Job

Tony

Something is still a little out of wack but it took off when the air was applied. Need to take it apart and find out what is making the funny noise.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzJedPyiqcM[/ame]

Latest posts

Back