3D part cut on my Sherline Mill - Have a looksee!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metal_slicer

Reaction score
I just wanted to share with you all something I have worked on for the past year before jumping into the lathe arena. I designed this part using ViaCad 2D3D, did the G-Code using Visual Mill, and cut using Mach 3 and Sherline 5400 with the CNC upgrade. I did a lot of changes to the G-Code to fix feed speeds and depth of cut etc... It's not an engine but perhaps some of you will appreciate the work. ;D

2012-05-26 17.34.02.jpg

I was so focused on getting it right I never did. I did a quick video on my phone but it was last year and I removed it. :( Ill dig around on my computer and see if I can find at least some other pictures. I still have about 9 other ruined pieces I could take a picture and show you :) In this photo it shows my workshop. If you look close you can see 3 other robot heads on top of my computer.

DPP_0043.jpg

more pics the better :)

how come you had to change the g code so much? i thought Visual Mill would of done it for you. or are you still finding out what your mill is capable of, when it comes to speeds and feeds.

more pics the better :)

how come you had to change the g code so much? i thought Visual Mill would of done it for you. or are you still finding out what your mill is capable of, when it comes to speeds and feeds.

I was trying to cut to fast and in some cases I didn't cut deep enough. Visual mill will allow you to enter any value you want so you have to know the material, tool size, number of flutes, spindle speed and feed rate. Visual mill also has a number of options for cutting like spiral cuts etc...

Hi!

Great work! I dont know your machining background but if your a newb i will pat you on the back! I do this for a living, i know what effort you put into learning your software and your machine.

Well done!

I also use VisualMill and a few others.

Congrats and good luck!

Hi!

Great work! I dont know your machining background but if your a newb i will pat you on the back! I do this for a living, i know what effort you put into learning your software and your machine.

Well done!

I also use VisualMill and a few others.

Congrats and good luck!

Thanks! I am a noob to the core. I jumped in not knowing anything about machining or the software to go with it. It took me several broken tools and about a $100 in raw material to figure out how to get it right, or at least get to the point where I was happy with the results. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to just throw my hands up in the air and say "I QUIT!" especially after spending 8 hours cutting the part and on the last step forget to zero my z-axis and have the tool put a nice nasty gouge on my work piece. Grrrrrrrr! :)

I feel you there. Mach3 has gage length settings correct? Set your tools, determine the length, then all you have to do is input the tool length offset.

Unless you fatfinger a number in the offset...

Latest posts

Back