3D Drafting and Design Software Comparison

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Bob,
let me know how You like the Book. How useful is it?I have TC 14
Hilmar

Hey chris very nice little tutorials mate i wish i could work out how you do this.

Very important point too regarding relations and under defined dimensions its so long ago that i since i was learning ie never leave a sketch with dimensions ie blue

Bruce

vascon2196 said:
O.K. Pat.....instead of screen shots I took video screen captures of me creating a crank disc, crank pin, and then assembling both parts together. I also downloaded a 4-40 set screw from McMaster Carr. Almost everything they sell is available as a SolidWorks CAD model.

Chris

Almost all our vendors offer cad models it makes tooling design easier to use new products when you don't need to first model them up to see if they will work in you tool designs.
SolidWorks and UG NX are very similar I've used both I have also used Catia which I hate I've also used auto cad I would have to say SolidWorks or UG NX would be my favs. With the new NX 7.5 I think is in my opinion becoming the industry standard I believe the auto industry use's it Boeing use's Catia and NX as does our company. At work I run NX and Catia mostly NX on a 64bit -platform with dual monitors and 20 gigs of ram.

Good job Chris on the videos.

I use Inventor. Like the solidworks suggestion I like the top down approach. First I mach up a major part like a block. Next, I add it to a blank assembly. Then, in the assembly view I start creating parts to add to the block, like a head or cylinder. In the assembly view I can add features to parts I may have intentionly or otherwise omitted. For example, I may have left out the bore for the cylinder. After I build the cylinder I can edit the block by adding the bore.
If you intend on making complex assemblies you'd better have a powerful computer with a pretty hot video card. These programs can bring a weak computer to its knees.

There is a sketch command called "ellipse" under the "sketch entities" drop down menu. You can make a tapered elipse many different ways. I have attached a Word document with several screen shots of the two most popular ways to construct a tapered elipse. There is also a SolidWorks model of a flywheel you can reverse engineer if you like.

I prefer the "loft" feature for creating tapered features. You can also do a simple extrude and add a draft angle. You can also use a "sweep" feature, and so on.

Chris

View attachment tapered spoke.doc

tapered spoke.JPG

FW045-6S-T-RG-XXXX-CI.JPG

View attachment FW045-6S-T-RG-XXXX-CI.SLDPRT

Here is a quick 8 spoke flywheel with tapered elliptical spokes, done in Alibre'
1 draw an ellipse to dimension
2 extrude to length with angular draft
3 circular pattern of spoke (8 copies @ 45deg around base of spoke)
4 overlay hub
5 revolve cross section of rim around center of hub
6 fillet as desired

Jerry

8 spokes.jpg

"Seems a lot easier to draw elliptical spokes than to actually machine them. "

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsEipETufyI[/ame]

Check out my Lamina flywheel. Since CNC all my flywheels have tapered elliptical spokes. Can't remember if the Lamina flywheel got designed in Inventor or MasterCam. Whatever, MasterCam created the tool path. For creating a single part that has softened corners and some complex warped surfaces I'm kinda fond of MasterCam.

I'm a Solidworks pro, and use it daily in my job. I design tooling with it. I've also used Inventor, ProE and several others. My degree is in CAD, and the mechanical stuff was secondary. That said just to give you an idea that I'm not just a weekend warrior.

So, several tips and observations. SW and the others will indeed do just about anything you can imagine, including things that are impossible to manufacture. It's a matter of knowing how to tell the computer what you want. That takes lots of practice.

1. ALWAYS pick the plane/surface before the operation. In other words, pick the surface or plane you want to cut before the cut. Doesn't make a difference in simpler parts, but can really cause problems for the novice if they get into more complicated stuff. It also avoids a 3D sketch, whic will be more confusing for the beginner. Naturally, there are exceptions to this, but for most stuff, it's a good rule to follow.

2. Try to build the part the way it will be made. If it's to be a casting, take a block and build on it. Use draft in the extrusions as you go. If it's to be machined from stock, take a block and hack away at it. Molds are made by cutting away, but molded parts are made by adding to it. This generally results in a more logical build, such that it is easier to incorporate changes later on.

3. Make the part simply. That's not to say it won't end up being complex, but the individual step should be simple. Don't cut a complex shape, cut a hole, a slot or a pocket, and add features as you go. Once again, this makes changes easier. Got a crankcase to hollow out? Cut out a square block, and add fillets later. Try to make all sketches fully defined so that later features don't give unpredictable results.

4. Spokes can be made in several ways, as already demonstrated. There's also an advanced fillet option, when you can specify a start and end radius, rather than the revolved cut. As with most stuff in parametric CAD, there are several ways to do the same thing. Use whatever method you are most comfortable with.

5. Learn the menus! Learn how to customize them! There are a couple of ways to get to each feature/shape you want. Going through multiple dropdowns everytime you want a polygon is silly. Put the command on the sketch menu, and have it right there one click away.

Several others here have given good advice. Best thing I can tell you is to play with it, trying to get the shape you want, not settling for what it gives you if that's not exactly what you were trying to do. I've been doing this for almost 30 years, and I still learn new stuff.

Hey All,

Thought I would just chime in here since I am a CAD user full time at my job though not a 3D expert since I process lots of 2D geometry for flat stock cutting like plate or sheet metal. Though I can do 3D, and at times I do.

I have AutoCAD 2008, UGS NX 7.x, and Solid Works 2006 (though not using). My favorite for 3D is UGS NX BUT I kinda find making assemblies difficult and online training is not all that available. So I give Solid Works the nod here and training is more abundant. For sheet metal unfolds hands down UGS NX.

For 2D work AutoCAD hands down my favorite and I create all my 2D parts first in AutoCAD then import them into NX for further processing into 3D.

Alibre for the price looks like a real winner, Solid Works to me is a bit pricey now at $4k

I also like to automate my CAD work and have been making custom applications to assist me. My latest application is this decimal calculator (see signature) that will automatically insert notes relating to tap data, hole size, drill#, and clearance drill sizes all at a button click.

Rob

Pat J said:
Rob-

I agree, $4K is pricey for the home hobby market, and Alibre is a steal, but for my work, the plan is to use Solidworks for production, so there is much at stake as far as time, deadlines, client satisfaction, etc. and even a small savings in time can equal a large savings in money.

Solidworks seems to be robust in enough ways that I think in production, for the time saved, it will pay for itself many times over.

I liken it to a milling machine with dials only and manual operation, comparted to a mill with power feeds on each axis and digital readouts. A hobbyist does not need all the bells and whistles of power feed and DRO (although you see more than a few on these pages), but a production guy could not operate efficiently without these items.

The hobbyist cannot afford SW, and the production guy cannot afford not to have SW. That's my justification anyway.

I discovered a few things last night playing with SW.
There are numerous tutorial files located at C:/ProgramFiles/SolidWorksCorp/samples and /tutorials, including parts, assemblies, drawings, etc. You can open these files and play around with them.

Also worked on "relations". As someone mentioned, you are not going to do much 3D without understanding "relations".

There are also a number of video tutorials at the SW website.

Although the examples in the tutorials that come with SW are not the video type, they do have some good features, for instance, if the tutorial tells you to select a tool button from one of the many many toolbars, it can be a challenge to find the button. But if you run the tutorial on half the screen, and the program on the other half, then you can pick the button icon in the tutorial, and the actual button is highlighted with a flag in the program window. That is a real time saver for a beginner.

Solidworks also has a "motor" feature that allows you to attach a motor to any rotating part and make it move. For instance, you can attach a motor to a crankshaft in an assembly, and when you start the motor, the antire assembly animates. You can also pick two shafts, and apply a fan belt.

Making progress.

Pat J

Hey Pat,

About three years ago I took a college class on solid works version 2006. We did assemblies and the motor thing, even turned rotational assemblies by hand. Solid Works is a great CAD package, and I am sure even better now so you cannot go wrong with it! If you can take a night school class at a college on Solid Works see if you work will pay for half and do it. The college level classes are great to really understand and learn all the little tricks. I got my old book still and I will see If my work will move solid works back on my station so I can brush up on things I am a bit rusty now.

The only issue I had with Solid Works now I am not sure if it was with my student version, but sometimes many features in a complex model would become corrupt or un-editable and the file could no longer be used. Not sure if this was an old bug, or what. Have you or anyone ran into this?

Rob

I was just reading the student version is $99. Trouble is it times out in one year.
I also notice available for free is a student version of Inventor, not a shabby program either. Its what I use. A cursery look makes it appear as if the only down side to the free version is when printing the border of the print includes a banner informing it is not to be use for commercial purposes. Check it out.

jpeter said:
I was just reading the student version is $99. Trouble is it times out in one year.
I also notice available for free is a student version of Inventor, not a shabby program either. Its what I use. A cursery look makes it appear as if the only down side to the free version is when printing the border of the print includes a banner informing it is not to be use for commercial purposes. Check it out.

I had the student version, and I think it did two things; One is it does like you said prints a water mark and two if you merge files into a work version the work version will print the water mark for that file only. (hope that makes sense)

I would buy Inventor; I really think Auto Desk is a great company! (Big AutoCAD Fan here :eek:)

One of the great thing about AutoCAD is it comes with .net libraries/API's for Automating beginning around release 2005. Other packages make you pay for that about $2,500 extra.

Any Pro-E users here?

I've been recreating a traction engine originally designed by Rudy Kouhoupt
from some plans that were in an old Popular Mechanics magazine. It's been a fun experience, especially creating moving mechanisms. I hope to have all my drawings
finished soon.

Pro-E was hard to learn & is expensive, but I use at a day job so I am comforatable with it.
I would like to get my hands on SolidWorks though....(Student edition?)

I knew ProE back in the day. It's been at least a decade since I saw it, much less used it.

To All you Cad gurus,

I don't know about Solidworks...............but after a week of SOLID WORK............Success with Turbocad V 14. ;D ;D ;D ;D

My 1st 3D Drawing that I did following Ken Doyle's excellent tutorial DVD.

01Wplane.jpg

I'm Chuffed................. You can teach an old dog new tricks.

Now onto the worthwhile exercises.

Best Regards
Bob

Pat J said:
I can draw shapes, but putting them in the right place on the right plane is not yet something I have mastered.

Yes, you draw something and when you look at it in isometric it's all gone somewhere you least expected. It's very hard to remember to sort out the workplane before you draw the part.

Move over Brian, Bob is coming in with the 3D.
Pat J

I WISH. ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Hey, i will throw in my opinion and some facts that could help you with your decision with what 3d modeling software you should use. First off i love autodesk inventor, i've been using it throughout my years in school and have even designed a lot of stuff with it, below is a picture of a suspension assembly i designed in inventor.

Second, i think solidworks is a great program too, I do not have too much experience with it, but i do know it is a lighter, more reliable, and faster software than inventor. although i do not know its limitations.

Third, I saw you mentioned google sketchup. To me this is very generic modeling software. I looked into it a couple years ago, and it doesnt even come close to inventor or solidworks.

suspensionassembly2.jpg

This is something i also posted in another thread i made awhile back. This is something that took me about 2 weeks or so, its the suspenion of an E-maxx, made by traxxas, but i re-designed it and compltely changed it. I used inventors rendering studio to get this realistic model.

Hi Guys,

After almost 4 weeks of blood sweat and tears not to mention reworks of the reworks of the mistakes and there is one notable one still left in the drawing below.........................but I now have a very basic understanding of 3D Cad and I am tickled pink.

ViceAll.jpg

Now I can say I'm in my 3rd element - only 2 to go ::)

The program is Turbo cad V 14.

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak, your 3D looks a lot better than mine. I use TC 12.5 Pro and TC 16.2 Deluxe. All I ever use is the 2D making drawings and plans. Haven't got the modeling in 3D thing in my head yet. Where did you get Ken Doyle's tutorial DVD?
I may need to get it. Keep learning and doing. That is what I try to do. ironman (Ray)

Latest posts

Back