3D Drafting and Design Software Comparison

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hardware guys use that type of mouse since they do a lot of drawing.
For whatever reason, the mechanical guys use a 'standard' mouse.

I also use a standard mouse but I do little if any drawing...
typey typey typey.

I've lost too many balls...I've gone ball-less now.

The software I use, Solidworks requires nothing more than a standard two button mouse with a scroll wheel between them. There are a number of very exotic mouse--mouses--mice??? available. They cost a lot, and require that you then memorize all the different functions that each different button/bar/scroll does. And if you have a laptop, then a second mouse of the same type becomes a requirement. I know a few other design engineers using 3D of some type who swear by their exotic, multi function meeses, but I find them a bit gimmicky myself. ---Brian

Well I can be summarized then in the group that swears by a 3D mouse.
Yes I could just use a common mouse but it is truly slower and more work to do it that way. No 3d cad software requires a 3d mouse. A 3d mouse has been proven by software developers to increase productivity by as much as 80%. I wouldn't call them gimmicky. They pay for them selves in a very short time in saved time and increased productivity. The buttons on a 3d mouse you set to your most used functions you choose. Believe me I would hate to try and do my job in a timely fashion with out my 3d mouse. Some of my assembly models have over 3000 components that interact with each other to try and zoom from component to component with just a mouse would take a lot more time that if you just zoom around with a 3D mouse. I guarantee anyone who buys a 3d mouse and spends just a couple hours getting use to it they would not want to give it up.

This is the one I use at home it is the cheapy I got it when it was on sale for 50$.
SpaceNavigator

Hi folks, this is my first time posting on the forum. I have always been interested in engines and for the last couple of years (on and off) I was using a 3D programme (Luxology Modo) to try and make an animated model of one of Jan Ridders LTD engines. I found it an infuriating process as errors in rounding kept accumulating as the model went on. Even though it worked in the end I began to search for something more accurate. I read some posts about solidworks and decided to give it a try. Wow! Since Christmas with the help of some video training to get me up to speed I have managed to build the engine and animate it. I have now also completed Elmers Wobbler No 25. I feel like I can almost touch them! I really want to start some machining soon. A friend has loaned me some measuring instruments he no longer uses and I am saving to try and purchase either a Sherline or Sieg lathe and mill (can't decide yet). I hope the attached picture of a Solidworks render of the Ridders LTD comes out ok. You have a wonderful forum here and I am sure to post again soon with loads of questions!
1900render50percent.jpg

Great model abcmorgan, just a shame real life is never quite that perfect (and would we want it to be?) ;)

Pat J said:
ABC-

Welcome to the forum.
I am trying to learn Solidworks (with limited success, but I have not made it through the book yet).

How about posting some tricks and tips, and maybe some screen shots.

We need all the help we can get.

Pat J

Pat---Go to your local Chapters store and buy "Inside Solidworks" 2nd edition by David Murray. ISBN #0-7668-2348-2 It is THE BOOK that will tell you everything you need to know about how to use Solidworks. Its not cheap, but it is very very good. When I started using Solidworks 10 years ago, it was the biggest help of anything I found, and I still occasionally refer to it. I go into other engineering firms and teach a course on 3D solid modelling for those who are new Solidworks users, and that is a book I recommend for all beginners.---Brian
ASSEMBLYWITHCOILANDSWITCH.jpg

Pat J said:
ABC-

Welcome to the forum.
I am trying to learn Solidworks (with limited success, but I have not made it through the book yet).

How about posting some tricks and tips, and maybe some screen shots.

We need all the help we can get.

Pat J
Hi Pat,
I have always found the best way to go about learning a new programme is to use a project. I picked the Stirling engine as I had pretty much built it in a different programme previously and I knew exactly what I wanted to accomplish. My biggest problem is veering off on tangents or not knowing exactly what it is I want to do. I also take regular breaks and come back to it after a while as this helps the fog that grows in my brain to dissolve! I was lucky to be able to devote a lot of time to the project as I get a lot of holidays at Christmas time. Another tip is to hover over a tool to get its exact name in the tooltip and then do a search in youtube for solidworks followed by the tool name. You will usually find a video of somebody who knows their stuff showing you how to use it.

I haven't read Inside Solidworks but a good book is always great to have. That is how I taught myself to use Luxology Modo. The book took me through a project on building a skyscraper step by step showing how different tools were used along the way.

Lastly, keep at it. Being stubborn usually pays off ;D

Whew,

I consider it done.

M10Assembly-1.jpg

Now to try a steam engine from an old book.

Best Regards
Bob

Thm: Bob, very good model of that engine. What pitch did you use on the propellor? (just joking).
I did the pencils/box and listened to about 5 on the vise and haven't been back at it for a day or 2. Probably will go back and review from the beginning to refresh my mind.

Keep it up man, you are doing great.

Ray (ironman)

Hi guys I am new here and new to model motors I want to find some drawings for a gnome rotory but right now I have the drawings from ageless engines for the 3rd scale Bentley BR2. I draw mainly in solidworks with w tiny amount of solid edge experience. I am slowly getting the bentley drawn in solidworks. I been using solidworks for a couple yrs or more and it really is a fairly easy program to learn the basics of.

Joe

Just like to say thank you to all of you who took the trouble to post. I have read every single one and I decided on Alibre Design. (The cost is important to me)
I have tried a few of the others and ended up nowhere, nearly gave up. After reading some of the post I thought in for a penny in for a pound I’ll try Alibre – nothing to loose.

After a couple of weeks, with a lot of help from the tutorials and videos, I actually ended up with something. Amazing, so I have now bought the PE version @ $99.

What’s more the more I use it the easier it becomes!

Thank you all for posting your thoughts. They helped me.

Dave

Here I go cracking open old topics again.

I noticed a couple of mentions of SketchUp on this thread, with people generally deciding that it's not up to scratch. I can clearly see that it's not CAD/CAM software like SolidWorks, et al, but having somewhat extensive experience with SketchUp and little experience with machining, I can tell you that it's probably better than you all think it is, and the price (free) is right.

Since joining this forum a few days ago, I've been looking over different engine designs. Arriving at the conclusion that I liked "swashplate" designs for a variety of reasons, I set about to figuring out a design that I could build with my limited resources and skill. I used Sketchup to help me visualize what I want to create, and am almost done with refinements. I think it's sufficient to show now, though I still have some work on the axle to do.

This design uses a fixed cylinder block and a rotating axle and swash plate. A minor change to the design would make it a fixed axle and a rotating cylinder block. Any feedback is appreciated on the design, but I really wanted to show what about three hours of noodling with SketchUp can accomplish.

Cheers.

J.D.

Swash Plate Motor.png

Hmmph...

See what jumping the gun gets you? I was looking at the design I posted, and realized that I had forgotten a critical component of how the engine works. Turns out the axle/swashplate/valve has to be fixed and the cylinder block has to rotate. So, ten minutes later I had the drawing updated. Yay for 3-D design software.

;D

J.D.

Swash Plate Motor.png

I have used Solidworks quite a bit recently, and have a much clearer picture of what it can and cannot do. I have reviewed the posts on this thread from last year, and I agree with much of what has been said.

I was beginning to think I would never learn 3D, but when I started treating it like machining instead of 2D drawing, I was on my way.

I use a combination of 2D and 3D now for design.
I start with some rough sketches in 2D using AutoCad, and develope the basic shapes and dimensions in section, and then input that into a 3D model. The 3D model is not only very nice to look at, but it gives a good 3D view of what the part will really look like, including all the fillet work, and whether the fillets will work out.

I am able to complete much more complex designs using a 3D program, since a 3D program basically allows you to virtually machine the part before you try to make the actual engine.
I have saved a lot of metal by being able to find glitches in 3D first.

Another very big advantage of 3D is the ability to change the transparency of the outside surfaces.
This is invaluable and allows you to see into the part, and see how the inner parts align, relate, etc.

And to answer the question of what can you really do with a 3D model besides look at it.
Well, you can purchase a 3D printer and make patterns very accurately, if you are into casting.
The 3D printing and pattern making will be the real boon of 3D modeling.

Pat J

Edit: Also as mentioned by others, if I change the size of a part in a 3D model, it automatically propogates to all other related parts, assemblies, 2D drawings, dimensions, etc. The problem I had with 2D was when I made a change to a part in the front view, it was really diffiucult to get the dimensions corrected in every other view and also in all the related mating parts. For a complex model, using 2D is very difficult if you make changes. If you are developing engine designs from scratch, you will always be making changes, and sometimes very late in the design phase.

A few months ago, 3D modeling was the bane of my existence, and now I would not dream of designing an engine without 3D.

So when the truth sneaks out that I machine using CAM I often get the stink eye, like somehow I'm cheating. Does the same hold true for designing in 3D CAD? Do real designers design in 3D CAD?

jpeter said:
So when the truth sneaks out that I machine using CAM I often get the stink eye, like somehow I'm cheating. Does the same hold true for designing in 3D CAD? Do real designers design in 3D CAD?

Whatever floats your boat is good, it's a hobby.

I don't know but I imagine a professional would use the latest and greatest design tools they are familiar with. In any event, like all things associated with computers, garbage in = garbage out.

Best Regards
Bob

jpeter said:

I have heard that also with the scanning and then printing of 3D parts.
Scanning a part is pretty much copying someone elses design, but as Jay Leno says, if the part broke, it generally needs an improved design anyway.
You would have to be careful what you scan so as not to infringe on copyrights.

3D printing definitely speeds up the pattern making process and more importantly allows you to retain all of the minute and subtle details of the model.

Certainly there is a place for CNC, but really the part produced by the CNC machine will only be as good as the person who programs the machine. In the end it is the design inside the designers head that really matters because that is what drives the ultimate build of the part.

I have seen people with expensive CNC machines make poor quality parts, and people with poor qualit lathes and mills make superb quality parts.

I do think the the 3D printers will revolutonize the modeling business. Again though, the part printed will only be as good as the design that has been entered into the model. I have seen poor designs made with expensive 3D programs, and superb designs made on $100.00 3D programs.

It really boils down to the person and their individual creativity, not so much the tool.
I do the same design in 3D that I would have done in 2D, but I am able to develop the design much faster and with far fewer inteference problems in 3D. From a standpoint of making changes to a complex design, there is no substitute for 3D modeling unless you have a lot of time to waste.

Pat J

jpeter said:
Does the same hold true for designing in 3D CAD? Do real designers design in 3D CAD?

I only can tell from my work - yes they do. Almost exclusively even. And as my moneygiver is not a unknown and really big one i suggest most others do so as well. And i see the point behind it. As stated in this thread, you get a feeling of the part or assembly, you easily see if parts are fitting as intended and when it comes to drawings it's merely more than "open new file, put base view and child views, add dimensions and off you go".
Behind creating the parts however are different philosophies. Some create them as they are intended ("ready") others - like me - create most parts like machinists. Raw block or cylinder and then subtract everything not needed. I think you can see the benefit of this approach when you indeed plan to make this thing ;)

Latest posts

Back