240 year old working mechanical writer!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And then China knocked them out 239 years ago for $60.00 Rof}

truly incredible mechanism. Must have taken a lot of time to come up with the cam sets for the whole alphabet - being able to write out one phrase is impressive, making it programmable for any phrase is very cool.

Have you seen the film "HUGO" ?

Interestingly I just saw that movie a couple of weeks ago. Most interesting to say the least. Saw a little of myself in that flick.

That is an incredible machine but someone already beat you to the bunch by posting that link not too long ago here, no worries it's nice to see it again anyway!

Just to mention that guy actually made two other dolls, another boy that could draw a picture of a dog and another of a lady. Not sure what that one did. There are probably others as well from other artisans.

Cheers,
John.

Last edited:
there at one time were many of these but there are only a few that survived. i'm sure this artist only made a few. but he wasn't alone. i believe the lady that survived plays a pipe organ or some other keyed instrument like a paino or claiver. but not very well from what i rememver. the mech probably needs a lot of work after 200 years.

Latest posts

Back