2 cylinder inside-out steam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chuck,

Very, very nice. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks, Bob, danstir...

Sometimes I look at a part I've just made and have a "What the H*LL were you thinking!" moment. :doh:

This is the sliding rod that the piston is fixed to and the cylinder slides on. The two radial holes are the ports which admit the compressed air into the cylinder. The piston is solidly fixed to rod right between the two holes.

I had originally planned to fasten the piston to the rod with a set screw. So, I milled a flat in the rod as a seat for the set screw. Unfortunately, I milled it too wide, connecting the two holes and providing a convenient passage for air to transfer from one side of the piston to the other.

So, what you see here is what is my final fix to air leaks in the form of a dollop of soft solder which I'll file and sand to the OD of the rod before re-attaching the piston. By the way, I abandoned the idea of set screws in favor of loctite 620 (love that stuff).

423e59ff.jpg

I'd like to think I learned a lesson here, but I'll probably wind up doing something else equally as obtuse in the future!!!

Chuck

"....equally obtuse...." That's funny Chuck! Rof}

BC1
Jim

Hi Chuck
Just now found this build thread, fascinating design and great build reports. Your last post shows you need eyes in the back of your head to see all possible errors, gives a newbie like me heart to see a master can still make simple mistakes :eek:
Love this site and the wealth of knowledge and experience.
Terry

Latest posts

Back