1/4 Scale Gnome Rotary

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm interested in your development. Do you have links or website? When you say 'rc' and 'these types of engines' & ignition system', do you mean glow ignition vs. spark ignition? Multi-cylinder vs radial vs rotary etc. ?

Reason I ask is I'm (slowly!) building a 5-cyl radial glow. For the most part looks like folks are installing some form of constant 'on-glow' on these engines without any real timing considerations. Some might be variable mode heat, but overall seem to be mostly directed at keeping lower cylinder plugs from fouling, better idling & better starts etc. I don't want to get off topic on this nice build, but if you ever want to create a new post on this topic, I'm sure there would be lots of interest.
My project is only specific to the Gnome 9 cylinder Rotary spark ignition engine.

I only run spark engines nowadays. The downside to glow powered radials: I've found glow radials to be more troublesome for the $$$. They work fine (when they're working) but glow plugs never last as long as spark plugs, they burn out easily if turned on for an extended period or over-volt, and cost a lot. I was forever testing to see if they all work. You can easily drop a cylinder or three (especially the bottom ones) and where I live it was hard to get methanol and nitro delivered to town. Upside: No need for a timed ignition system. It's always glowing (hopefully).

I felt a need to create a project for an ignition module for the rotary specifically, as there are none on the market, unlike glow engine drivers. Which are everywhere. The current glow drivers on the market appear to be sufficient for the job and are available to order at your local hobby store. It's smart to use one if you fly with a glow-radial.

My project is only specific to the Gnome 9 cylinder Rotary spark ignition engine..

Got it, thanks for clarification. It was the 'RC' part of the same sentence that had me confused. I've got the Wessel plans too but its a 'future' project after I get this radial under my belt. There seem to be very few scale model rotaries. Aside from mechanical differences, maybe the ignition system is one of the perceived challenges. Hope to see more of your development.

Back