Yet another Canadian on-board

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwelkie

Reaction score
It seems I've neglected the call for an introduction long enough. I've spent a lifetime trying to do things rather than "clubs" and have lurked in these parts long enough to realize that this collection of forums truly is a community - just like the masthead says. What a community it is too, simply overflowing with support, good advice and inspiration. Thank you having me and setting the bar so high.

About me ... well I've been tearing things apart and putting some of them back together all my life. My folks are of a farming/homestead heritage so "why pay someone for something you can do yourself?" was ingrained early. Another creedo along the same lines went something like, "Every expert had to learn what they know ... so can you."

My lifelong interest in vintage aviation has seen expression through (mostly) scale r/c modeling since the mid-70's. Along the way I did "pickup" a private pilots' license but the $200 "drives in the sky" got a little difficult to justify a few years back.

Somewhere in there I built a Hummelbird - a low wing single place, all aluminum homebuilt with 1/2 a VW engine (yes, I really did push the crankcase through my bandsaw).

Motorcycles have too, always been in my life. Motocross as a kid ... until you had to dress up like a hockey player ... and then road riding The past has included rides up and down the west coast a number of times. On one ride in the early-80's my wife and I decided to stop in Los Angeles to get married on the way to Mexico. The current ride is carrying vintage plates 'cause I can't bring myself to get rid of the ole girl, an '81 XV920. I spend a bit of time keeping an '86 Jaguar XJS running - summer driver only.

My shop has, like many, grown and developed over the years. Surplus equipment and re-purposed gear all have a new home. I am spoiled. It's a pretty well equipped 24'x32' toy box with lights, heated floor and a washroom that's only used for doing - not storing (i.e., cars and such). Wood (for the models mainly) shares space with metal - sad but true.

Like many I started off with a couple steam engines (wobblers) built onto their own boilers ("Tubal Cain's" books). That lead to a Crusader from Home Shop Machinist magazine:

DSCN0724.jpg

DSCN0723.jpg

and then to a Webster:

DSCN0725.jpg

DSCN0726.jpg

The tool set expanded, both physical equipment and skills until I completed an Aeronca E113 from Chernery's drawings and casting. What a wonderful project that was! I'm so grateful that I could build one of Mr. Chernery's designs. (I'd love to do his Cirrus too but ... without castings it will have to wait awhile... please share if you know of a set needing a new and caring home!)

DSCN0720.jpg

DSCN0722.jpg

The current build (when I'm not working on a 1/4 scale Nieuport VI) is a 1/4 scale Gnome based on Stephen Wessel's wonderful 1/3 scale drawing set. Still not done but the internals are complete ... just accessories, prop mount and valve train to finish ...

DSCN0718.jpg

DSCN0717.jpg

The last few photos are of the shop for those that are curious (with some showing the hanger/ceiling).

DSCN0727.jpg

DSCN0728.jpg

DSCN0730.jpg

DSCN0729.jpg

DSCN0731.jpg

Pardon the long post (but you asked for it <grin> and for pictures too!).
Thanks again for having me.
Charlie

welcome fellow canuck :D ;D

looks like you have a real passion for flight, and your model building skills look to be spot on as well.

hope you enjoy this place as much as i do, there are allot of great guys here to help you.

chuck

Post as many pictures of the Gnome as you like! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Welcome!

Dave

Charlie - Thank you for sharing your shop and your work... Both of them are very impressive. I know you will be able to make many contributions...

Thanks again for sharing,

Harold

Charlie

I think we can overlook the long post seeing as it included so many photo's. :big: :big:

Welcome to HMEM and we certainly hope that you will like what you find on the board. I love the pictures of all the RC stuff and as time goes on we will no doubt find out more details on some of the individual items. If you have any questions just ask as there is alw3ays someone around to answer or at least give an opinion. We look forward to your participation in the forum. :bow: :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Welcome Charlie Great shop ,Great planes too. Life is short,when we get all the toys ,we have a hard time useing them .Again welcome! Dale

Welcome aboard from Vancouver!

Great shop and projects!

I'll be looking forward to your posts.

KustomKB said:
Great shop and projects!

I'll be looking forward to your posts.

Me too.............Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Charlie,welcome to the forum. wEc1
Crab

Welcome Charlie - you've been a busy boy!

>... is a 1/4 scale Gnome based on Stephen Wessel's wonderful 1/3 scale drawing set.

Hi Charlie. What a beautiful engine. Did you draw up your own 1/4 scale version of the 1/3 based on the Wessel drawings?

Beautiful shop Charlie!!!
And great work too on the engines!! ;D

Too far for me to come and hang out and learn from you though... :big:

Andrew

Thanks "Petertha" ... Stephen's original drawings for the Gnome are fabulous. Try as I might I have only found one little thing that he has since corrected. I've simply been scaling the dimensions on the original drawings as I build parts. Occasionally I've had to add or subtract a little to make something work out in a practical sense but so far nothing has been very troublesome. For example, scaling a part by 75% may be okay until you thread it ... the thread depth for the smaller part / thread won't likely scale appropriately so an adjustment may be required.
I found that building parts keeps me motivated ... something that redrawing the entire set before starting construction probably wouldn't do as well.

Too bad Andrew ... about not being able to visit regularly. One never knows though. If you ever get out to the "left side" of Canada; stop in ... I think there are "a couple" in the shop fridge.

Cheers
Charlie

Charlie, Great shop and beatiful models, thank you for posting. larry

That is a beautiful shop and those engines are amazing. I have only started to dabble in machining but I definitely share your love of aviation. My long term goal is to build a single seat ultralight of my own design one day.

Cheers
Shawn

hello Charlie, and welcome to the forum...and WOW! to the monosoupape gnome!
Stew.

Latest posts

Back