yet another project. Jeep Willys

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rick.
for piston wrings, I am assuming you would have to take the engine apart to properly clean them?

lets say I get this engine turning over alright, its possible the rings can still break sometime down the road?
and running the engine without checking the cylinders could kill the engine maybe? (rust buildup)

its to cold today to give it another chance, I put more transmission fluid with WD40 in yesterday after that I will ether try diesel, or the head will be coming off.

!!!! thank you Tin!!!!! ;D
made a file for them. and probably print them :)
took a fast look and lots of info :)

Glad to help speedy hope they are the right ones for you and your machine.
Tin

If you get it freed up and the rings are stuck, it might start up.
Stuck rings will rip the cylinder walls to shreds.

It would mean a major engine overhaul to make it right.
It isn't really all that complicated, just time consuming and labor
intensive.

Rick

head is coming off.
I broke all the nuts free today, now I will wait till monday after my last exam.
cant wait to see inside!

hi longboy.
what engine do you have in your willys?
is it the buick dauntless engine?

a friend is offering me for free a good running chev 350 motor and automatic transmission.
I see Novak sells the adapters to make these engines work in the willys. but what I would like to know from you is

what engine you have?
are you running stock transmision/transfercase/axles?
did you get your kit from novak?

Thanks Speedy, I've had my Jeep since 1986. It was locally owned in my home town and I have seen it growing up. It was re done about 1964 with a "283" Chevy and became the owners (Rich's) hunting jeep which was towed from Kenosha to Wyoming to get into the back country but never used as a daily driver. Who woulda known I would become a Willys fan and acquire this Jeep years later. I modified it to my tastes over the years and it gets me to the local old car gatherings here in Tucson. Street only for me but the 4WD works. Rich was a sheet metal tradesman and made the set back firewall and the adapter plate for the stock T-90 transmission. An access plate in the cowl for the Chevys distributor made too. It has the Warn overdrive which cuts the final 5.38 axles back to 4.10. Other than the v-8 the driveline is stock original. Has 11" brakes all around recommended with any v-8 powertrain. Engine eternally stock with aftermarket headers and intake. Factory "Renagade" rims with 10x15 tires. Painted Allis Chalmers orange! Novak and Advance Adaptors make kits and I'm sure the big brake kit is still marketed by somebody. On Ebay you will find at any given time 20-30 old CJ's listed at all prices. Dave.
IM000194.jpg
IM000195.jpg
Paint job 2002.

that really is a nice Willys!
thank you for the write up, its cool that you know its history and the person that did the mods. 8)

how do you like the v8 and its power?
can you still get heavy on the pedal and have some fun?
is the t90 transmission and tcase up to the power?

im not to sure the power difference from a 283 to the chevy 350 my friend has.
I am worried about putting to big of a motor in and start breaking things.

anymore pictures of your willys feel free to post them up :D

The Jeep weighs about 2500lbs. and the small 283 does fine. I hear there are some T-90's behind 350's but you are really stretching it here and will grenade the input shaft and cluster gearset with the greater torque output. I have done that with mine! A Turbo Hydromatic or Muncie/ Saginaw 4spd. correct way to go or find a Buick v-6. Read up on the many Willys Jeep forums. :)

thanks Dave.
with a muncie the tcase would be fine?

I did find a Buick V6 231 cu but I dont know if its the same as the dauntless. will need to find out.

so last exam was today. pulled the head, since this is the first time working around full size engines I am not sure the condition.
I think the rings are stuck to the head, it seems like its all carbon build up. light surface rust on 2 of the cyls, the other 2 seem like they might be worse, might be carbon will need to look at it closer.

getting my car buddies over tomorrow, then I will have a better idea of what to do.
a friend offered me a free chevy 350 engine, but that seems like a big project.

o yeh, the liquid in the cylinder is atf and wd40. been in the cylinders for atleast 2 weeks so those cyls are stuck or the carbon is stopping it from going thru.

DSC00235.jpg

It doesn't look all that bad Speedy.
Just be patient!

A few years back I bought a 1942 Briggs model IR-6 engine for $25.
It was pretty rough but I wanted it because it was a rare crank start
Briggs engine.

Craftsman%20Engine%203.jpg

When I got into it, I discovered it had been under flood water at some point in time.
The internal parts were all rusted tight and the engine was full of mud.

IR-6%20Mud%20Cylinder.jpg
IR-6%20Mud%20Valve.jpg

After about 3 months of restoration I ended up with this.

IR-6%20Finished%20Carb%20Side.jpg

And it started up.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbk0Q7h4HS8[/ame]

I'd be embarrassed to say what that engine sold for at auction. Let's just say I
was well compensated for my initial investment and time.

Now does that Willys engine look so bad? ;)

Rick

rake60 said:
It doesn't look all that bad Speedy.
Just be patient!

A few years back I bought a 1942 Briggs model IR-6 engine for $25.
It was pretty rough but I wanted it because it was a rare crank start
Briggs engine.

Craftsman%20Engine%203.jpg

When I got into it, I discovered it had been under flood water at some point in time.
The internal parts were all rusted tight and the engine was full of mud.

IR-6%20Mud%20Cylinder.jpg
IR-6%20Mud%20Valve.jpg

After about 3 months of restoration I ended up with this.

IR-6%20Finished%20Carb%20Side.jpg

And it started up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbk0Q7h4HS8

I'd be embarrassed to say what that engine sold for at auction. Let's just say I
was well compensated for my initial investment and time.

Now does that Willys engine look so bad? ;)

Rick

thank you Rick.
what do you suggest me using to soak the cylinders?

I love how you brought that briggs back to life! it does give me more hope for my willys.
comments like yours are appreciated, I dont know much about engines and reading responses from everyone keeps me going.
:)

Speedy,

I recently rebuilt a 4cly. snowcat engine that was in much worse shape, spark plugs removed twenty ago, rain water in cylinders but never frozen from the cold. Runs fine today! From my perspective, no mater what you do, that engine should be pulled. If you have the desire to rebuild it, pull the crank & drive pistons down, out of the block.

Paul

Latest posts

Back