yet another project. Jeep Willys

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedy

Reaction score
well it seems I am always finding projects.
have been putting time into this

production years 1945 - 49 (not sure my jeeps year yet) willys jeep CJ2A

DSC00222.jpg

should have plenty of time for projects as my last exam is april 26th, then off for summer.

Lots of luck on the project Speedy, I spent 10 years restoring my Mustang

IronHorse

Nice Jeep. Looks in better shape than the one that lives in my garage.

jeep.JPG

looks can be deceiving :big:

the Willys needs a good amount of body work, frame is not rusted out so I am hoping I can save it.
engine is seized, 1 cylinder is the problem im sure. if I can get the engine going I will have a better sense of direction.

originally I got it for a bush vehicle, but I have been searching for a flat fender for awhile so I decided I would investigate what is needed and how much money to get it on the road.

oh man i love jeeps ive had one and im still looking for that cj5 cant find one with a good price that i can aford.
i sure do admire those great beast

The good part is there are so many places to get parts. Tons of new in package parts to. If you havn't looked yet, take a look at G503.com and Military Vehicles magazine. If it can be bought, and replaced on the flatfenders, it is still for sale. ;D

Does it still have the flathead motor?

Speedy, JC Whitney still has all kinds of parts for your CJ2A. Conrods, oil pumps, crank, fenders, etc. Heck, you can still buy the entire body new.

They're online.

Dean

good old four bangers u can drive the crap out of them. lov the tie downs

Nice find Speedy! Thm:

When I was about 18 years old, a buddy of mine had one in about that
same condition, but it ran fine. We rolled it over playing around the grounds
of an old abandoned mine site. After we got it back on it's wheels it started
up with no problem at all. It did blow a lot of smoke for the next hour or so
after being upside down. :D

It never did make it back to road worthiness? :shrug:

Rick

Diy89,

What's your's a WWII Ford GPW with the nine slats on the grill?

Bob

Give it hell speedy....My dad gave me a ride in one when I was five...drove the thing up one side of a small tree...went right up on its tail....then the tree fell over, and he rocked over the tree as it tried to lift the jeep up...first the front is in the air, then the back end...finally we got off the tree and kept right on going...looked back and the tree popped right back up...damnest thing I ever experienced...fun as hell for a five year old....of course they didn't even have a seat belt back 40 years ago...let alone childrens car seats and DSS...just that big Jesus bar on the dash board :big:

That looks like it'll be a fun project Speedy.

I love the duct tape upholstery ;D

Speedy--Thats the motor! Get that cyl unstuck and i'll bet it runs like new. Well, may smoke a little more but for 60+ years old what can ya ask for!

Bob--It's the willys. 1945 radio jeep.

Longboy- Nice! but Speedy has better seats! :D

Rick and Steamer, LOL I love those types of stories!

LongBoy that is one nice jeep!
someday maybe someday speedys will look that nice :)

Ksouers and Diy89 hehe love the seat, it matches the jeep for now lol.

I just about had enough of studying, need to take a break.
will go back out to work on the motor some more. going to take the rad off so I can try spinning the engine over without a extension on the socket, wow FLEXX was a problem for sure

well that was eventful :big:
thinking I would just walk out with my socket set and some wrenches and spin everything loose... boy was I wrong!
everything was nicely coated in rust, spray on some liquid wrench and do something else for a hour and a half.
went back this time with a torch, heated the nuts up and out they came! :) heat is now my friend. (dont ask the jeep, I accidentally put fire to some canvas material :big:.

didnt think any coolent would be in the rad, but I was wrong! it sure had allot in it. its a good sign tho.

then tryed spinning the engine over again with the breaker bar, no go! needs more soaking.

thats the story for now, back to studying.

DSC00233.jpeg

DSC00234.jpeg

don't force it Speedy.....easy does it.

I am told Kroil works well for stuck cylinders....

Pull the plug and fill it up!......and wait

Dave

Mix 6 quarts of diesel with one quart of motor oil and fill the crankcase to overflowing and let that puppy 'marinate' for a couple of days.

It worked when my grandpa and great grandpa 'found' a junker tractor in the field one morning. They wondered who dumped it for many many days. ;) From some of my youngest memories in the backwoods of Eastland County Texas. ;D

Kermit

I have been restoring antique engines for about 20 years.
Sometimes the OLD stuff works the best.

For stuck pistons I pull the head then pour a few ounces of
Marvel Mystery Oil into every cylinder. Leave it alone for three days.
After a three day soak, try to turn the engine over. If it's still stuck take a
heavy wood block that will fit into the cylinders and "BUMP" it with a 4 pound hammer.
Don't HIT it, just bump it. If there is still no movement let it soak a few more days and
try that same process again. Be patient and it will free up in time.

If the pistons are stuck it is a given that the rings will also be stuck in the piston grooves.
Sometimes they can be freed up by soaking and careful working.
Usually you will break them at some point in that process.

It is an exercise in patience. Go slow and take your time.
A moment of frustration can result in $$$$ of of higher costs.

Rick

Latest posts

Back