YABH -- Yet Another Boring Head

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great project. I'll be following this build with great interest :bow:

Interesting project Jeremy.
When I'm internal threading I turn the cutter upside down and cut on the backside of the bore. Much easier to see whats going on.
Greg

Thanks for the suggestion. I would love to try that, but I think that with a threaded spindle nose it's probably not the best idea.

Jeremy
You don't change the lathe rotation as in a left hand thread. You just cut on the backside of the bore with the tool facing down.
Greg

Ah. I see. We're talking about two different things. I assumed you meant cutting from the bottom of the bore out. I understand what you mean now though. I'll give that a try on the next one (I'm making two).

It's not scrap...its a nut waiting for an oversize bolt! ;D

Hang in there bud......we've all bagged a part before....you'll get there!

Dave

What else could it be?
A really big piston, a pencil holder for a threaded pencil, a heavy object to throw at protests, a shiny object to distract me...
I always find that I never have the right material for the random bit I want to make in the scrap bin. I guess I'm on my way to fixing that. :p

Don't give in that easy, Make the arbour oversized to fit the bore. This is model work not production runs. You may have just started your own proprietary thread series.

f350ca said:
Don't give in that easy, Make the arbour oversized to fit the bore. This is model work not production runs. You may have just started your own proprietary thread series.
I would do that, but it is designed to fit on a Sherline mill. Then again, I'm making two, one of which is for my mill, so I may try that on this one. Thanks for the idea.

A quick side note:
I'm making the arbor out of 12L14 steel. And dang, that stuff is awesome. I mean, dang.
CIMG2114.png

The shank came out better than anything I've ever turned. I was doing 55 SFM, at 0.002 in/rev for a finishing pass, followed by a quick swipe with some red scotch-brite dipped in WD-40 to decrease the cutting action. And it's beautiful.
Another one to write down in my notebook.

Yep - once you've enjoyed 12L14 it's hard to go back to nasty 1018 cold roll! ;D

Looking great so far. Keep the pics coming :bow:

Back