X2 Spindle Stall

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeeprogrammer

Reaction score
With nothing in the spindle, I turned on my X2 mini-mill.

I put some (hand) pressure on the spindle.
At low speed...the mill stalled out pretty quickly. And I can't say I noticed any build up of torque (not that I did very much of a test).
I increased speed and the mill stalled out pretty easily.

Is this normal?

I've had no issues that I know of with the mill. Perhaps applying pressure to the spindle is different than when cutting with a small diameter cutter.

Just trying to get an idea of the power of this thing...and it doesn't seem much.

Zee;

Just went out to check mine. With the speed control turned to the 9 o'clock position and the motor running pretty slow, I can grab the spindle and stop the motor. I also hear a click from the control board and assume that the circuit senses the stall and opens a relay to remove power and prevent damage. But you are correct. At low speed there is not much torque.

Maybe it's no talk and all action ??? :p

Best Regards
Bob

Make sure the spindle is in low gear. If it's in high gear the low range suffers greatly. First mod I'd suggest is to get your hands on the belt drive kit from LMS. Much improvement for not much money. Second... check out their X2 power feed offering. I never regretted mine.

Steve

Rule of thumb tells us low speed equals high torque.
Not so with the X2!

The X2 is not a torque kind of machine.
It is easy to stall at low speeds. It works best at high speeds and
light cuts. Many people have done CNC conversions on the X2 mini mill.
The programs they write for them involve a number of redundant passes
to complete a cut. Even in CNC mode, you tell the machine to DO THIS!
The machine will answer back with, "I don't think so", in it's own way.

It will stall, break the tool or give notice in a short puff of black smoke that
means, "Bring your VISA card." :D

The X2 will eat heathery at higher speeds and little bites.

Rick

I haven't looked at the schematic on mine but I'd have to think the low RPM is achieved by standard pulse width modulation which means the pulse will be of relatively short duration, hence low torque.

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure it's a DC motor. Guess I should go out to the shed and look. Well, maybe tomorrow.... ;D

Tin Falcon said:
Yes a DC motor with a PWM
Tin

Not all variants are the same....Mine has a board fitted to it(the BKIC controller from KB Electronics in Florida) that uses thyristor drive...not the usual 2 mosfet board....
Torque on mine is quite good at low speeds and I have a belt drive fitted too...

Thanks all. Sounds like it's expected.

Steve...I'd made the belt drive mod a few months ago. Very happy with it. I'm interested in a power feed too and have watched the mods that black85vette made.

Back