Worthless Threads, and a waste of time....

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BronxFigs

Reaction score
Understand, I am very inexperienced with using a PC, and my "skills" consist of only the most simple and basic operations. What I am going to complain about may be entirely my fault...so, my apologies in advance if it turns out to be that I'm the screw-up. It won't be the first time that I made myself look like a fool.

What's with the deleted photos? I recently joined this forum so that I can be inspired by all the wonderful construction articles, photos of engine-builds, plans, machining operations, etc. but when I find an interesting subject and start reading, to my disgust, the accompanying explanatory photos are not to be found. Folks...that thread is now worthless to me and future readers. I can't tell you how many times that this has happened. The text is still there to be read...but, no pictures.

To say this is vexing is an understatement. If the photos are somewhere else, I haven't a clue as to how to find them. I have clicked on a number of engine builds hoping to get some helpful advice, and information, but nothing but words, and then, head scratching.

Is there a remedy? What am I not doing correctly. Remember, I am computer illiterate, so again, my apologies if it is my error.

I'm lost without pictures.

Frank

Not your fault Frank.

When people post, they post on many forums. They host the pictures on one website and then link the pictures to all the sites. So what happens is, this site saves the text but not the pictures. When you want to read the thread this site displays the text and goes and gets the pictures from the other site. What happened is the text is still here but the pictures were deleted from the other site and this site cant find them.

Steve
I applaud your diplomacy. While what you say does account for some missing photos, others were removed by the owners following the HMEM debacle last year.
Some have reappeared on other sites (Madmodder and MEM)

Frank: As Steve said it is not your fault. there are a number of factors . some are links that have not been maintained. some photos were purposely moved removed by the poster .

the good news is this sight has the room to host photos so people can attache photos to the posts or to a personal photo gallery and use a link.
there is no need to use Photobucket or a photo hosting site.
some may still choose that route.

I encourage people to keep there posts in tact. once written leave them alone unless they need correcting for a good reason.
Tin

To forum members, and administrator(s):

I hope my opening remarks were not too critical, and whiny. I can only imagine what headaches are involved with running and overseeing a forum like this, and upon reflection, my complaints seem rather intemperate. Rather than delete the whole thread, I decided to leave it. What's done is done.

Thanks for the explanations regarding the deleted photos. I will continue to use the forum as a learning tool, and as a source for the wonderful exchanges between this coterie of machinists and craftsmen.

"Consummatum est". (for: Tin Falcon) : )

Frank

I hope my opening remarks were not too critical, and whiny. I can only imagine what headaches are involved with running and overseeing a forum like this, and upon reflection, my complaints seem rather intemperate. Rather than delete the whole thread, I decided to leave it. What's done is done.

Thanks for the explanations regarding the deleted photos. I will continue to use the forum as a learning tool, and as a source for the wonderful exchanges between this coterie of machinists and craftsmen.

"Consummatum est". (for: Tin Falcon) : )

Frank

I'm not sure if you are aware of this but is thear is a thread that you like
you can go to thread tool and subscribe to it.
Everytime ther is an update you'll have an email as a reminder
this way your always up to date with stuff you like

cheers

Frank: no harm done sometimes inquiring minds want to know.

This forum is a city of 10 thousand voices. A city that never sleeps . It is always daylight always dark . it is springtime and fall , winter is coming so is summer.
I had the privilege of watching this city come to life when there were only a few voices. now they are many . it has grown and changed in ways never imagined. IT is what it is . It can be explained in words words I can not write but have already been written by the thousands of citizens.
so sit back and enjoy today and the next an worry not about the past.
My only hope is it continues to grow and lead a happy and healthy life.

Tin falcon

Member #24

I hope my opening remarks were not too critical, and whiny.

Not at all Frank! The reason we are all hear is to ask and answer questions. This is a model engine site and questions will be asked with that in mind. This is also a forum and there is nothing wrong in asking questions about it to better understand and use it. Questions about tools, machines, software, mathematics, ect get asked all the time. They all go hand in hand with what we need to know to build engines/projects and so does this forum.

Don't give it a second thought!

Back