Whistle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day Kevin et al.

Two ideas that do have merit. One the Helmholtz resonator, the other the chime whistle.
At beer o'clock in an office yesterday I finished my stubby of beer and was walking with it back to the kitchen. As I did so I was swinging my arms and became aware of the low note produced as the wind passed over the lip of the bottle. Try blowing over the lip of a soft drink bottle if you are not a beer drinker.
A stubby bottle produces a low note, guess two octaves below middle C corresponding to stopped whistle about 1.2 metres long, and yet the stubby is only 200mm long with volume of 375ml.
Solution: drink a stubby bottle of beer (and a few more just in case the bottle breaks, you need spares ;D ). Attach bottle to loco and then blow steam across the lip. :D

The chime whistle is a concept that the English readers may not know. A chime whistle comprises a bell divided into about 5 chambers by axial dividers, each chamber is a separate length. The annular steam jet is much the same as for a bell whistle and blows across the lip of each chamber. Because the chambers are different lengths the notes produced are different. The resulting sound is a chord (dischord) which you hear due to acoustic interference as a much lower note.

Making a chime whistle seems like too much work, I like the stubby idea better!

OGTDA
Regards,
Ian

HI
In a scale model the easiest way to make a chime whistle is to use say three smaller whistle pipes hidden in a larger outer pipe. I have seen a couple of whistles made this way but the tunning was im told a nightmare. Theres a company here that sells a scale chime for locos that has the chambers exposed, it looks very nice as you can see in the link.

http://www.maccmodels.co.uk/steamf12.jpg

I have a set of drawings in PDF for a steam siren thats not easy to make but does scale well all the way down to 1 inch to the foot. I have no idea who drew the drawings or how I got them. If its possible to post PDF on here let me know and il put them up.

Cheers kevin

hello i was wondering if anyone has any instructions to build a steam whistle for my miniture steam traction engine?
(if anyone can build one then please message me)
thank you :)

Latest posts

Back