Where can I finde 4" copper pipe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
This 1/3 scale Galloway calls for a piece of 4" copper pipe for the gas tank. I have searched high and low and can't find any. At one time when copper was used for plumbing it was readily available but since the advent of plastic it's very hard to find.
Does anyone have any links to this material?
Thanks,
gbritnell

I might have some at work. I'll have to check. How much do you need?

John

Any local plumber should have a barrel full waiting for the scrap metal pickup. When doing renos, they cut out back to some convenient place to tie in plastic.

Hi John,

I need a piece 4" in length. If you have it let me know and I will pay for it and the shipping as I'm building this engine for someone else.

Pat, that was going to be my last option.

Thanks,
George

As its the gas tank the material is not that critical, you should be able to find something thats 4" or a bit larger that can be slit and tightened up, recently saw a picture of a traction engie where the bottom of a sausepan was used rather than making a former and spinning a metal gear cover.

Jason

I have a great deal of experience scounging for copper pipe. First, if you aren't already aware of this, standard US copper tube will be 4.125" OD and not 4.000" OD, but that may not be an issue. A for sources, there are always the on-line metals outlets which are quick and convenient bu as you've been quoted already are usually very pricey. The one I tend to use (sparingly) is Speedy Metals but they don't list copper tube at all. Your best bet locally, as suggested by Stan, is to look at plumber's scrap bins, but a residential "plumber" isn't liley to have copper of that size. Your best bet will be to find a commercial "mechanical" contractor, who does large commercial, industrial, or institutional plumbing and HVAC work. Larger commercial buildings have copper water systems (never PVC) but the thing is, you have to be lucky with timing as these days the cutoffs 24" long or less tend to get scrapped very quickly. Also you will find they are most likely to be using Type L copper, which will be fine for both pressurized or non-pressurized tanks.

I have found that I can have luck by going (hat in hand ) to the back (shop) door of a firm that I am fairly certain has the material l need and I take along the project, or a part of it, and approach the shop foreman, explian what I'm doing, and just plain ask for his help in making progress on my project. I calmly plead desperation, I have exhausted ALL other options, my project will die for lack of the material, is there any possible way you can help? I find that this does several things, it indicates that I havre some understanding and appreciation of his world, that I'm not some nut-case who wandred in off the street, and to some extent I make him feel needed and appreciated. I find this works wonders, and works almost every time when the person is able to help, but of course sometimes they aren't. Offer to pay for the material; and not under the table, but offer to pay his company for the material. So far I've never been asked to pay for a small bit of material. What you can't do, and still expect help, is to demand anything, or feel entitled to help. You are a beggar at his door and must act like it, but that's a small price to pay to get my hands on that piece of Unobtanium. Also, you can't tell them you are building a "boiler" or anything else that might have liability issues attached to it, and that includes a "Gas Tank." Rarely will he want to give a complete stranger the material to build a home-made boiler! Give your need another name, make it about something decorative, or anything that doesn't carry with it a potential for explosion or fire hazard. Good luck.

George, Good amounts of copper pipe come into the scrap yard I visit. 4" is a harder to find drain size that I don't have in my own supply of copper pipe. I do have some 2-1/2" that probably won't do you any good though. If your not in a hurry I added it to my shopping list, maybe some will turn up. I see that new material is about $500.00 a foot!!!!

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=18372&step=4&showunits=inches&id=1288&top_cat=0

A less expensive alternative would be brass tubing @ $60.00 a foot or just under $7.00 an inch.

Edit; I have 4" o.d. x 3" long bronze sleeve, and I have 3' O.D. X 4" long copper tube. If you can use a substitute than this will help.

-MB

Hi Guys,,

I found new 4" copper at $65 / foot (1')

See my previous post...... :)

Dave

Hi Dave,
The first link I posted has the very same price so it would come down to shipping cost.

Dan

George,
I just went down and checked my Copper box.
I have a piece that is 4.5" in diameter and 4.75" long.
It seems to be thicker walled then the other pipe I have in the box (which is all 3") diameter.
(I just went down and measured the wall thickness, it is .110")

I got this for free and I will pass it on to you the same way (you pay shipping) if it will work for what you need it for.
Let me know shipping details via P.M. or e-mail.

george i have 4" and i think the wall is 1/8" if you want it just pm me your address and it will cost you shipping or might i be able to get a copy of your baler drawings????

chuck

Sorry all I have is 3 in.. If that will work p.m. me your address and I'll get it shipped out.

John

Chuck,

I'm most appreciative of your efforts. I would still like to pay you for it and whatever postage there is. Please contact me offline for any details.

Happy New Year to you and your family,
George D. Britnell

Latest posts

Back