What to do with finished projects?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After all the time. After all the money. I may look at the finished project for a day or so... then it goes into the garbage can. Don't have anyone interested. Don't have anyone that even wants some of these things...AND I don't have room to keep this stuff in the shop OR in the home. This is why my New Years resolution is to quit making these wonderful trinkets.

Toolroom, it's sad to hear someone say something like that. Me personally and I'm sure other people on this board would be greatful to get one of your wonderful trinkets.

As to what I do with finished projects they go in the office onto a displace space, and I have a long time before I need to decide if they are going to be sold or pasted on to future family or even given away.

After all the time. After all the money. I may look at the finished project for a day or so... then it goes into the garbage can. Don't have anyone interested. Don't have anyone that even wants some of these things...AND I don't have room to keep this stuff in the shop OR in the home. This is why my New Years resolution is to quit making these wonderful trinkets.

That seems rather severe. I am sure that with a little effort you could find someone who would appreciate something like that. It is true that we will never receive the true worth but they are worth something to someone. Try putting them on Craigslist at a low price. Folks tend to not appreciate stuff that is just free and if you do not value your own work they will not either.

For the most part we are doing it for the enjoyment we receive from the process, not what we can sell them for.

I inherited this corner china cabinet which is a good place to put finished projects without taking up a lot of room. These can sometimes be picked up quite cheaply second hand.
Regards,
Alan C.

Cabinet.jpg

Big battle with wife.
Me: place project in china, glass, brick a brack display cabinet in window
She: No way that belong in the cabinet
Me: Add another
She: Come to the consignment store, I found a nice display cabinet
Me: We don't need it and have no room.
She: Like a Chinese drop torture... days later
She: Come and help me unload this
Me: You are nuts, where are you putting it?
She: In the laundry room
Me: No expletive way
She: Goes grocery shopping
Me: Move in the living-room (plenty of space) and fill it
She: You nitwit get this thing out of MY living room
Me: Darling is OUR living room
We will never hear the end of the complaints but the gizmos really show well with inside lights, the friends like it too.

I lurk a lot but never post. I just came back from NAMES where I displayed my shay for the first time. As a younger modeler (41 years old), it gives me a great feeling when masters such as Mr Chenot, Mr Britnell, Mr Colonna, Mr Hodgson and others, stop by to see my work and tell me that I'm doing a good job. My father started to take me to NAMES and Cabin Fever when I was a young kid. At the time, I looked at the models but never really appreciated the time, effort and craftsmanship that was put into them. I was just bummed that there was not a steam engine to ride on. As I grew older, I started to appreciated the models more. But, It wasn't until I started making chips myself that I really begin appreciating and admiring the craftsmanship and engineering ability that is displayed. During the show, I sent a proud picture of me standing behind my shay to my wife. She always jokes about my "old man hobby". When she received my picture, she said how proud she was with me and jokingly asked " am I the only one under 70 there?" Afterwards, I managed to point out a couple people in the crowd to jokingly prove her wrong. My dad got a good laugh out of it too and then mentioned, "look around, In ten years, this show is not going to be the same." Unfortunately, I think he is right. and because of this, I try to take extra time to talk to builder and study their craftsmanship, because, there is going to be a time when I won't be able to see it or watch it run at the next show. I just want everyone who displays to know that I admire your work and I appreciate you showing and running your models. Thank you!

Hi Brian --

I just got back from the same NAMES show, and was just as impressed as you were...maybe more so, because it was my first. The quality and resourcefulness of the craftsmanship is one thing, the quiet modesty and determination of the modelers, all add up to something quite special. Then there's the strong sense of camaraderie. This seems to be less of a hobby, and more of a calling.

And in the two days I spent at the Yack Arena, I don't think I saw a single individual staring at an i-phone. Can't remember the last time that happened. Special company indeed. I wish I had attended an earlier NAMES, but I've only just recently retired, and didn't have the time till now (I live in Honolulu, so the trip is a bit of a commitment).

I'm fairly new at this sport, just five years or so, but have a handful of engines to show for it, and am coming into the home stretch to finishing a Quorn cutter grinder (something of a rite of passage, I gather).

If there are other modeling machinists in Honolulu I haven't run into them yet, so the experience this weekend was a very special one indeed -- validating, even. I'm not sure if I'll ever get to be able to show much of my work at NAMES (shipping anything heavy is a major drawback of living in the islands, though there are other compensations), but I'm certainly going to make every attempt from now on to be a regular attendee.

Although I'm afraid this year's will be the last one at which I'll be able to lay claim to be an under-seventy. Hate to contribute to the cliche.

See you next year, I hope.

Michael T

It has been noted in other threads that the younger generation is no longer learning about manual machining. They are taught about CAD and CNC but are never taught about how to actually make things without computers. I hope some of the younger generation learns about some of the older methods.

It has been noted in other threads that the younger generation is no longer learning about manual machining. They are taught about CAD and CNC but are never taught about how to actually make things without computers. I hope some of the younger generation learns about some of the older methods.

Well Gordon, you would be happy to note that some of the younger generation is happy to learn and use manual machines, my self included at the age of 32, and my cousin is 26 and he does show some interest in my manual machines also. And I'm sure when I have kids at some point they will be interested in learning to use them also.

Latest posts

Back