What Are You Up To Today?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bogstandard said:
Just bid and won this

:eek: ;D 8)

Nice one John .................... very nice one ;)

We had a Pan European up to a couple of years ago and both enjoyed it very much, unfortunately Mrs CC can't ride any more so ......... we now have a caravan :(

Good friend of mine has a "C" reg Aspincade he's had from new, both him and his wife usually do a European trip on it or two every year ..... it' just as good as new ............. your new purchase reminds me very much of that one 8)

btw ..... Your polishing duty's have just increased exponentially ::) :D ;D

Look forward to seeing it in the flesh sometime.

CC .................. aka Dave

As for what I've been up to today ......... carrying on with the workshop refurb ......... it seems never ending :mad:

DSCF3533600x450.jpg

Hopefully I'll get there one day :( ??? ;)

CC

Thanks Dave,
The custom paint job on it cost more than half of what I paid for it, and the trailer and camping gear takes care of the rest. Anything that has been released for the 1500/Flat 6 has been bolted to it, and some.
Got to get rid of a couple of hundred cruising and posing lights, then it is the grandsons job to keep it clean. As it is, even when standing still, the chap keeps it permanently on trickle charge, just so he can turn on all the lights on every now and again. It lights up like Blackpool illuminations.
It was my wife who pushed me to get it, she really misses the freedom only a bike can give. I wanted a Goldwing trike, so she could drive it as well. But I suppose this one will do for a couple of years.

Anyway, had young Ralph come down again today, helped me to get the last bench out of the shop, and move a bit of heavy stuff around for me. Again he went away with a lot more than he came with, I pity his cars suspension.
Things are now looking a lot better for the planning stage.

BTW Dave, your workshop is never finished, you will always be tweaking and modifying.

John

[BTW Dave, your workshop is never finished, you will always be tweaking and modifying.

John
[/quote]

I agree I built mine 14 years ago , the problem these days is the price of equipment (for hobby use) when I first got interested there was only one lath for modelmakers myford..and they where expensive now you can get a full shop full for less than than price of some of the myford tooling,
so every so often you buy a bit more and have to try and fit it in the shop , so everything gets moved around, I just got hold of a micro mill , where do I put it ? yes it may not be the best quality but for my work its OK.

Nice on the bike John , so your not going to turn it in to a chopper then :big:

The flagship one they take to the shows with the milling attachment, long bed and Newton Tesla drive is £14,300. Nearly $29,000.

John,
My first lathe was one of the first they ever made, a 1930's ML1.
I paid £50 for it, and did the same to it as my Atlas, give it a good dose of looking at, and sort out the manufacturers faults.
It is still in regular use by a friend of mine. It is as accurate as my Atlas.

Myfords era were the 60's to 80's. They tried to upgrade to a totally new model, but failed miserably. Nice machines, but way too pricey for what they are, and what they can do (unless you can throw loadsa money at 'em).
How they can charge almost double the price for a TOS chuck (the same as I use), than from an independant supplier, I don't know.

John

Nice score John.

2.75 Wings? That will keep you busy with polishing rag! I know from experience for I have but 1.0 old Gold Wings. They sure have change since 1977, here's mine:

Apr03_0130.jpg

What I did this weekend was to about finish the sand muller I am building to make tempering my casting sand easier. Now that I have it, I have one less excuse/project to prevent me starting castings for my next engine. Here what I came up with:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU7zJJ_DCTo[/ame]

Al,

2.75 Wings?

One good left arm, not quite such a good right, 1.75 wings, plus the one I have just bought.

You must be real happy with the way your muller has turned out.

As you say, no excuses now.

John

Well, I'm up to keepin' cool in the basement. It's hot and muggy outside here in up state New York. :p

Checking out the forum and maybe getting back to working on the two wobblers I started. Ever since it got warm out I've been out laying bricks around the house (building a brick faced house) and trying to keep up with the yard work.

I'm also planning the next steam project,........... ::) ya like I don't have enough to do. :p

Bernd

Spent today harassing Tim (Zeusrekning) while he worked at making his Ball turner. I figure I managed to slow him down just enough that he'll need tomorrow to finish it up...(grin) He shared a number of tricks of the trade, with me, that I can put to good use. Between seeing his two dead easy techniques for getting centered on round stock to getting to see how he power tapped on the mill, I almost feel guilty for slowing his progress.... notice I said "almost"...(grin) Thanks for a fun day Tim.

His shop is a pleasure to visit. Lots of room... nice big machines and Floyd. Floyd, Tim's son is fast becoming my buddy and easily teams up with me to rank on his dad. I think if we keep at it, we just might capture his curiosity and get him interested in metals as well.

Steve

Hot Dogs or Talapia?... inquiring minds want to know....LOL

well today i got a new 6" rotary table for my mill, only wanted one for the last 3 years!!!

i then went to a locale machine shop to see a friend of mine, while i was there the foreman was throwing out small off cuts of steel round bar and plate steel.................well a bunch of that landed in my truck ;D

the foreman said he was just cleaning out the shop and all off cuts were to be chucked...............so with that i said (jokingly) that i would do the clean up if i could have the off cuts. he said that was a great deal to him so to work i went!
he showed me the area he wanted clean out, i took one look and asked if the brass was going as well? yes it is scrap he said so i got about 500 pounds of steel (mostly round) and just a bit over 100 pounds of brass (round and flat bar) and for good measure 50 pounds of aluminum round bar.
now all i have to do is make room for it in my shop (like thats going to be hard to do) :eek:

as i was getting ready to leave the foreman told me that there was going to be a 4 day plant shut down and if i wanted i could clean out another area for him............ looked at that area and there has to be 3 tons worth ot brass and steel.
one quick look and i spotted two 4" round bars of brass that have to be 10' long each and a whole bunch of plate brass.

i don't know why he is scrapping it all but as long as he is giving it away it might as well come home with me ;D

its been a busy day but well worth it.

chuck

Wowser!

I'll tell you what I was up to today - ordering barstock for my first engine project! That was fun enough, and now I read Chucks post!

I am jealous - but in a good way. Good for you! I would much rather hear of unwanted material going to model engineers anyway, rather than back into the melting pot.

Well done that man.

I love this forum - it just seems to be a well matched bunch of enthusiasts.

i got some beer and i drank it. then i got some more and drank that. now im going to read.

I helped the neighbor by taking my pressure washer over to his house and washed the loose paint off from his picket fence so he could paint it.
Then I cut my first gear!! I building the Odds and Ends Hit and Miss and it calls for two small gears, one 20 tooth and one 40 tooth. The plans go into great detail how to make the stub arbors and fly cutter for cutting the gears and I must of followed the instruction pretty well because the gear I cut turned out great. I cut a practice one out of 6061 aluminum first just to see if I could do it, Now tomorrow I will cut both of the needed gears from brass.
Mel

Cedge said:
Spent today harassing Tim (Zeusrekning) while he worked at making his Ball turner. I figure I managed to slow him down just enough that he'll need tomorrow to finish it up...(grin) He shared a number of tricks of the trade, with me, that I can put to good use. Between seeing his two dead easy techniques for getting centered on round stock to getting to see how he power tapped on the mill, I almost feel guilty for slowing his progress.... notice I said "almost"...(grin) Thanks for a fun day Tim.

His shop is a pleasure to visit. Lots of room... nice big machines and Floyd. Floyd, Tim's son is fast becoming my buddy and easily teams up with me to rank on his dad. I think if we keep at it, we just might capture his curiosity and get him interested in metals as well.

Steve

Hot Dogs or Talapia?... inquiring minds want to know....LOL

:D :D :D
Got the insertable tool holder made other than tapping the hole for hold down after Steve left. Only broke one 1/8" carbide endmill , Guess I forgot to lock the quill :-\ Everyone does that once.. right? :big: Have to actually work today. Mabey I can get the ball turner done this weekend.
BTW. F&%#ing Hotdogs :mad:

Tim

went to Rough and tumble black smith days and blew my tool allowance bought a couple of jenny calipers a couple of tap wrenches a 20LB bundle of 52100 tool steel several hammers a couple of end mills a couple lathe bits etc when I got home and looked at it and said to myself I does not look like much for $75 but I Know new it would be a whole lot more 52100 goes for about $ 4 a pound plus shipping and the greenfield tap handle are $50 each new so guess I did OK.
Tin

Tools.JPG

nice bunch of tools tin!!!

i cannot go to any sort of sale or flea market and not buy at least something for the shop ::)
i just got back from a locale flea market this morning and there i found a pair of 4" flywheel castings. i asked the lady how much and she replied .50 cents each :eek: .............so now i have the start of another engine 8)

chuck

Mike :
that is what I would call a hair don't LOL My younger brother went that style a couple years ago. Easy to maintain . Glad to see you posting.
BTW I will try to get some R & T engine photos posted.

other things did tody went through a tool box so the son can take it to work. attempted to extract a stuck broken fitting from an O2 regulator looks like will have to drill.
Tin

Latest posts

Back