Welcome!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nigel,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Hi,

My name is Mike Ross and I live in the Ottawa, ON, Canada area. My interests are many and varied but what brings me here are the projects that are starting to pile up in my work shop and I need some time to clear the back log. Projects in process include:

Elmer Verburgs - Wood beam engine
Poppin - flame licker
L.M.S. Duchess in 3 1/2" gauge ("inherited" project)
and last be not least
9-cylinder P&W Wasp Jr. R-985 radial in 1/6 scale with castings from Bruce Satra and drawings by Bob Roach - I've started a thread in the engines from castings area on this one.

(and I'm currently in the throws of buying / debating buying castings for the Wright J-5 Whirlwind of Karl Olsryd design - I'm an addict I admit it and I need my fix..)

I have recently completed (or nearly completed) a cnc conversion of my benchtop mill and I also have a 9x20 lathe and a 6" shaper which comes in surprisingly handy.

I have very little machining experience so my progress is slow and full of mistakes but its fun so I continue on. I'm in no hurry and I'm a ways off from retirement (I'm 37) so I'll just keep myself active at this slowly and hopefully I'll learn enough to actually complete something one day!

Cheers,

Mike

OK guys, you got another Canadian here. Do I have the right to call myself a machinist? Still earning that par. I bought a Taig in wood working configuration about a year ago. Added metal working parts to it and recently
ordered up a power feed for it as any self respecting metal cutting lathe isn't without one. Also ordered me up a set of castings for a Stuart 10V.
The power feed isn't here, the 10V isn't yet either. I see some of you guys could bury me in chips (swarf?) by your profiles. Makes me feel unworthy to enter this site.
In any case I is here and hope to benefit from this forum.
sez Theo

Welcome Theo!!! wEc1

There are a few Canadians around here!
Where about are you located??

Andrew

paddleman

Hi Theo and welcome to HMEM. Glad to see another Canuck on here. With all the variety of members on here we should be able to answer most of your question so ask away. We will get you machining and feeling comfortable in no time. We look forward to your participation in the forum. :bow: :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Hi and welcome . We all have a scrape box , mine is pretty big . We all learn by doing .If we were to sit in front of the tv ,we would not make any mistakes . so hang in there you will learn lots here.Dale

Thanks much guys, and before I get me in trouble, gals too. I be in Tiny Township. Sizewise, it isn't as its name implies, it outsizes some cities in area, population wise, it is small. In Simcoe County, Ontario, west of Penetanguishene. I'm sure I can fill a scrap box/bucket in short order, as my brother says; "If we learn from our mistakes, well by now I should be an absolute &#@*n genious!"
1st question; Any you guys retro-fit a powerfeed to a Taig, does the kit come with instructs? Again thanks for the welcome guys, gals (any here? should be.)
And in case you asked, I was born in 1949 as a Netherlander and proud of it and proud to be Canadian too thanx.
sez Theo

Theo,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

It was yesterday; 15th, Nov. that my Stuart 10V arrived at my door. I ordered it on-line on the 8th Nov. I better keep a clean bench as some of these parts are tiny! To wait for Taig power feed to surface, Lee Valley said 6 to 8 weeks. Meanwhile, some reading to do on Building A Vertical Steam Engine
sez Theo

paddleman said:
It was yesterday; 15th, Nov. that my Stuart 10V arrived at my door. I ordered it on-line on the 8th Nov. I better keep a clean bench as some of these parts are tiny! To wait for Taig power feed to surface, Lee Valley said 6 to 8 weeks. Meanwhile, some reading to do on Building A Vertical Steam Engine

"Building A Vertical Steam Engine" is a hoot. It's supposedly for beginner machinists, but says things like "the diagram says it all" (about confusing image of a crankshaft machining fixture), and "if you trust your chuck...", which a beginner really isn't going to know. We really could use a modern re-write for some of those old-time crufty Stuart machining instructions.

smfr;
I did look at that diagram with a "say what?" and noted too that my kit had the "fabricated" or silver soldered parts for the crank. I was all set to turn out a crank with the "disconcerted" feeling of doing it off center on a 4 jaw independent.
I found the advice for selecting speed mildly confusing; "run lathe in back gear, the slowest..." and "slowest 'open' gear speed...". what does 'open' and 'back' gear mean, my guess, simply low gear, or slow, would have said enough
Trust your chuck; only in the last year or two, being totally green to machining, did I learn that scroll chucks are notoriously inaccurate
I find "British" english sometimes at odds with the American or Canadian english as one word may have a different or even opposite definition in the other version.
thanks, smfr
sez Theo

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and haven't yet queit figured out how to navigate the links, but I'm very interested in engines and machining and have already read and seen much here that is impressive and motivational. Thanks for sharing. Ralph ( "flyingtractors1" on YouTube )

Hello, just found this site today and it looks very interesting. I was a machinist for 4 years 25 years ago and have recently gotten the urge to start again as a hobby. My wife is into miniature doll houses and has for years wanted a small lathe to make fixtures for her houses so for Christmas this year we bought a small 7x14 lathe that will be arriving an wendsday. I have in the past been into nitro RC cars and out of that have taken an interest in building my own small engines. I'm looking to start with small steam/air powered engines but am looking to work up to small scale jet engines. So far I have seen more than I could imagine on this site. Hope to have a project picked out and started soon thanks ,Dennis ,oh also forgot I'm from the northern part of New Jersey

Hello everyone, ive been looking at you site and think its great. I love love the builds and passing of information. Ive worked in the machining buisness sine 1984, and I love what I do. I dont have a shop at home yet, but maybe this coming year. Look foreword to exploring the site.

Welcome to the forum Guy. Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee (or tea) and enjoy the forum. I'm sure you will find someone that is willing to give you assistance, or advice on any areas of machining you might need. And I think you will find us a rather friendly sort as well.

Harold

Latest posts

Back