Welcome!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Day,
My username is PSACstuff . I am new to this forum. My name is Terry I am based out of Nova Scotia Canada.
Recently purchased a classic 1953 Myford ML7. Currently cleaning the lathe and mostly reading about all it can offer. The main 65 back gear has part of a broken tooth and must be replaced. The lathe and stand are currently getting cleaned and painted for a fresh start. Looking to learn from all the experts and dedicated machinists on this site.
Kind Regards

Glad to see your post Terry, about your new ML7 Myford lathe. I have had a Myford 7 for about 30 days now am cleaning mine up as well right now,
my back gear is also broken {see my other posts} packrat
IMG_1793.JPG

Greetings ya all, I'm glad to be here, to learn and present my way of thoughts through engineering.
From what I looked through a bit yesterday there are many, MANY interesting stories about the manufacturing of modeled parts, which i am thrilled to discuss about or just generally chatter about technological advances.

I know I'm a bit young to be anywhere near knowledgeable, but my project I'm currently in planning has given me many opportunities to broaden my spectrum.

My general goal is that every engine I have needs to be in a motorcycle frame at some point.

The hardest nut i will face at some point are Austrian regulations, but luckily with my current project it isn't so bad.

In engines I want to legally drive on streets and not just a friends farm, I need to sadly have it produced "properly" and so via official manufacturers, otherwise they are too much of a hustle to get them legalized.
Also i until now use the mill of a friend o mine, which i don't want too often.

But enough of me,
I'd be glad to hear about you all!

I might not reply immediately though, work.

The main 65 back gear has part of a broken tooth and must be replaced.

This is the classic ML7 failure point. Mine had it and it is a 1953 one also. They are getting difficult to obtain now and very expensive so you may end up having to repair the original. I had mine welded and simply recut the tooth with needle files.

It's a little noisy but works just fine. I had my doubts as to whether it would work but with a little care you can get quite close to the original profile by hand certainly close enough to function even if it might have a slight "clunk"

Best Regards Mark

Yes, my lathe ML7 {older one} has three teeth missing on back gear also, was trying to find one from the UK but seam to be not in stock anymore from Myford for older lathers...??

Latest posts

Back