Welcome!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's worse is loosing 4 circlips into the open gearbox sump knowing full well they won't come out the drain..... :wall: :wall:

I am a retired maintenance fitter and have just discovered your interesting site.

My workshop is my garage and model engineering keeps me occupied and out of the way.

My machinery is quite basic but this is not a big problem. It consists of a 5" Kerry Lathe,

3 drills, 1 press and a grinder plus a boat load of hand tools.

Not a lot but I can do most things with them.

I live in Durham which is in the north of England.

Jay

Welcome Jay, am happy you found the forum and will look forward to your participation. Its a great place to share, learn, or just hang out!

Regards,
Bill

Jaykay,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

So hello everybody,

so I was lingering and snooping around in this forum for quite a while and finally signed up. And started posting before introducing myself. ts ts ts... ::)
Right- I'm Karsten, studied mechanical engineering in Dresden (GER) focusing on fluid dynamics and turbomachinery and now work and live in Switzerland in the civil turbomachinery business. Thants fun, however I miss the smell of oil and metal chips in the office. (I guess I wouldnt make myself popular if I spill some oil and spread some chips around... :big:)

During an internship at university I had the chance to make a stirling engine (with some assistance- or better to say I assisted handing tools at some important parts) but it was that time I made the decision to want a mill and lathe eventually.
So some years later- and in the mean time some years ago- I bought a lathe (300mm between tips) and a mill (300mm x-travel and a bit less in y and z). Rather small machines but they fit in a basement room and can be moved with a reasonable effort- and fairly reasonable priced I also have to admit. I dont really appreciate the limitation in workpiece size and machine stiffness, but I can live with it.

My main interest at the moment are piston engines- be it stirling type or internal combustion. Steam is currently not so much my bag but lets see... The ultimate goal before I roll over and meet my maker will be designing and making my own gas turbine. Using an axial compressor and afterburner. (even though I do not appreciate the sense of military at all I'm fascinated by the engineering- and there was also civil use of such kind of turbines...)
So, thats me...

Cheers, Karsten

Welcome Karsten, it sounds like you will fit right in here. Just remember...small tools are better than no tools at all :)

Bill

Hello! :)
My name is Bill, known as Steamboat Willie both here and on the Mamod and Other Model Steam Forum. I like model steam and model boats, so it seemed a good handle, reflective of the combination of these two interests.
I live in Canberra, Australia.
I am an amateur hack hobby machinist, having had several years of assiduously failing the hobby Fitting and Machining Course at the local Technical College. Eventually I was told that I must have learnt something...and couldn't re-enroll. (Damn!).
I started off getting involved in doing my own machining as a result of a terminal disease that I have - its to do with a incurable love of veteran and vintage cars. In particular, I like Fiats, and have a fully restored 1922 Fiat 501 convertible, and am building my very own sports car - on a 1924 chassis with 1924 running gear. I have never had a sports car and decided that I wanted to become a member of the Toothless Hoons befoe it was too late. An interest in machining became a necessity for me as I found that no shops around here stocked parts for 90 year old cars... ;) This was further compounded when a couple of years ago I purchased the makings of a 1910 Tipo 1 Fiat Landaulette which has an all-wooden body. This car is also under restoration, as my limited health allows. (I hobble around on a stick, and have good days and bad days, as I am sure many others can empathise with.
I have always likes model steam , and dabble in that when I find I am unable to work on the veteran and vintage cars. I refer to it as my therapy!!! I have an old (1959) Nuttal lathe with a gap bed (which I find extremely helpful to do some of those b-i-g bits on the veteran). I also have a smaller (chinese) lathe which I use exclusively for small and light (usually brass) parts. It is this lathe that I have fitted with the Multifix Suisse -Aa- toolpost, and for which I am seeking additional tool holders).
I have done courses in both arc and oxy welding (again at Tafe) which I use extensively rebuilding up worn bits prior to remachining. I have also done 3 years of panel beating, an essential when restoring vintage cars. And just for good measure, I did a course of dressmaking too!
Well,that's a bit about me. Please feel free to contact me if you think I might be able to help you in any way. Knowledge is useless if you don't share it, and I find mistakes just too easy to make!!!
Cheerio for now!
Steamboat Willie.

Willie,

Best Regards
Bob

Hi. Just found this welcome page. I have been reading the posts on this forum for some time.

I live just outside Brighton, Sussex UK
I have a small shed that contains a Grayson lathe and HobbyMatt mill. I have got a Simplex train that my dad started many years ago and I thought that I would try to finish it.

I worked for 21years in an engineering company as Toolmaking Apprentice, Drawing office and then on to the production department. Finishing in the buying and projects dept before moving into the world of IT.

I am now building the FireFly 46 from the Model Engineer as a quicker project than the Simplex. I am also thinking of doing the Simmons Portable Engine next.

I am picking up a bigger second hand lathe tomorrow so may need to spend several weeks to get that working right.

Regards

Mike

Welcome mike looks like you will fit in just fine.
tin

Mike,

Best Regards
Bob

Hi HMEMers,
I found this super forum after getting totally fed-up with the off topic posts in the rec.crafts.metalworking NG. I registered several weeks ago and finally decided to sign-in "officially" by this post.

I live in the centre of England in a small town called Leamington Spa. I'm a retired software engineer with over 35 years experience of writing mainframe operating systems for a large computer company, but I've got over 50 years experience as a working goldsmith and jeweller; my hallmark is registered at the Birmingham Assay Office. I design and fabricate all forms of jewellery in all the precious metals - all hand made in a corner of my breakfast room/office. My avatar name, lemelman, refers to the fact that I create lemel, which is the archaic name for the precious metal swarf, filings and scrap created when fabricating jewellery.

I joined a model engineering club about 15 years ago and have constructed a reasonable workshop in my cellar. My main machinery is a Chester 12x36 gear-head lathe, a Centec 2B mill with a Mk3 vertical head, a Sealey bench mounted pillar drill, and a small Pultra lathe. I converted the first three to variable speed by adding VFDs, I also added DROs to the lathe and mill.

Although I've yet to build a model engine, I've made quite a few parts for the rolling stock of the club's miniature railway, but most of my workshop time is spent in making things for the Remap panel for which I do voluntary work.
Remap is probably the biggest charity you've never heard of - basically, if a disabled person needs a piece of equipment that is not commercially available, then Remap will custom design and make it free of charge. If you want more information, see http://www.remap.org.uk.
Remap never makes production runs; every case is different, and everything is a prototype. This makes for some very interesting challenges. I'm currently working on a powered hinge for a wheelchair to allow the backrest to be lowered to a full recline (and raised again) without removing the occupant. A major problem is the available space for the mechanism.

I do all my design-work in TurboCAD (currently V16 Pro) and use 3D modelling for everything; I even design jewellery with it.

Regards, Gary

Latest posts

Back