Welcome!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt the proper subject is Welcome but here is a self introduction..

I am a new member to this site. I am an retired engineer ( since '94 ) and a couple of years later switched from wood butchery to metal because of uncontrollable dust where we lived. One of my first projects with the new metal working machines was a Jerry Howell sterling with a graphite piston. :) almost went back to wood the mess was so bad.

I have made several simple barstock engines ( IC and sterling ) and a Woodpecker from castings. A couple of others are partly done. Family issues including a health motivated move from Port Townsend Washington to Tucson Arizona and then the wife having a minor stroke a couple of years later have sort of slowed shop activity.

Health issues are looking up so I hope to soon be back in the shop.

Regards

BillB

I am very impressed with the projects I have seen while browsing this site.

Bill welcome :
I did not see you posting your location when I first read your post.
My computer shows you posting from South Jersey USA.
Are you in the area visiting family? PM me if you would like to and maybe meet for a cup of coffee or whatever if in the area.
Tin

Bill,

Welcome to our forum, wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Hi all.
I had to visit this section a lot ago but I was feeling bad not to have something to shear with you,so I preferred just to "open" my eyes to see what you make,to understand,to copy and- maybe later- I thought -there (in your forum) will be a post from me too.Glad I posted something.
My name is Yiorgos and motherland is Greece.Just a few years ago I bought a X2 mill and later a mini lathe.Now I am always near these-next to these-down or higher than these.... :D...My job is house builder-nothing about machining.
After some googling I saw on youtube a CNC machine.Same feeling like when I saw a lathe first time."What is that these hobbyists do with their computer and I only play games" I thought. Thanks to Internet now I play "cnc" not silly "pac-man".
If I can be usefull to someone about CNC or ...I will be glad.

G.J.Xenitopoulos said:

Thanks to Internet now I play "cnc" not silly "pac-man".

Hi G.J.Xenitopoulos

Hi Yiorgos and welcome to HMEM. We are glad to see you here and look forward to your participation in these forums as you have the time. If you have any questions just ask. There is always someone around to answer or at least give an opinion.

I quoted part of your post above. I think that it would make an excellent tag line for you. :bow: :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

GJX,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Thank you all for your wellcome wish.
About the tag,Don,maybe I could use the "I play cnc" part of the whole frase.
I have many things to ask but I have to search for the answers in the allready writen topics first.(no matter of time).

Hi guys ! Been a full time machinist for about 25 years and just love playing around in my garage shop where I don't have to search for tools and they're always in good shape. Steam engines are "da bomb". wish I'd discovered them earlier !
I'm from Berea, Ohio. :p

purpleknif,

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Purpleknif and welcome to th forum. Im with you on the steam engines and there is plenty of advice plans and examples here. You've come to the rihht place wEc1
You mention you have difficulty getting al for your flywheel. A quick google search shows at least half a dozen suppliers in Ohio. Im sure one of them have what you need. Easier than gluing and drilling plastic discs

Hi All at HMEM
My name is Hugh Wilkinson and I live in Christchurch Dorset which is on the south coast of the UK, and I am a retired mechanical draughtsman. I have been modeling for many years but more so since being retired. Over the years I have built a number of steam boilers, horizontal and vertical steam engines, petrol/gas engines, hot air, vacuum and hit and miss engines.
My latest engine which is almost completed is a Ryder-Ericsson hot air pumping engine, castings of which are available both in the UK and USA. However I choose not to make from castings anymore, but prefere to fabricate from plate, bar stock and sheet, as this gives me more freedom of design, size and method of working.
The engine is running nicely and pumping a good head of water and when completely finished I hope to be able to send you a picture
Best regards to everyone in the group
Hugh.

Hugh,

Welcome to the forum. We are looking forward to seeing your builds and learning from your projects. There a tremendous amount of talent here and they are all very willing to help out.

Harold

Hugh,

Best Regards
Bob

Hi
New to the Forum
My name is Nigel Walton; I live near Alford Scottland but work many months of the year in Singapore, this give me the luxury of 2 workshops, a full size at home, 6" center lathe, VMC mill, Elliot shaper etc etc, and a miniature 'Sherline' workshop in Singapore.

I recently got interested in cnc and Singapore is now my cnc centre, hope to upgrade a larger mill at home some time in the future. My interest in cnc is mainly to profile mill components from solid that would otherwise be an expensive or unobtainable casting, I don't intend it to replace my manual skill and activity. It's just another string to by bow.

My interest is both steam and IC engines and also out of necessity workshop tooling. Currently I have a 1/4 scale Allchin about 75% complete and also a 1/4 scale Bentley BR2 also about 75% complete. Because of work commitments progress is slow but getting there.

Once I have these complete I hope to move on to other aero engines from the early 1900's.
This seems to be a really helpfull and friendly forum, I joined after reading a post about a cnc subject where I felt my own experience would be a contribution, so I am looking forward to learning and sharing.

Cheers

Nigel

Back