Water Cooled Webster

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cam is straight off the Webster plans. This is the first one I’ve ever made but it was actually pretty straight forward using the rotary table on the mill. I forgot to take any pictures of the setup.
I remember reading a Webster build where the guy just marked it out and used a belt sander.

2025 Cam (Medium).jpg

2030 Cam.jpg

2050 Cam.jpg

I decided to let it run in a bit more. Ah hell, I just wanted to watch it spin with the flywheel on. On the up side, I forgot to take out the spark plug and my run in motor won’t turn it over with it in.

2060 Run In (Medium).jpg

Here’s a tip. If you ever build a Webster do the Ignition Cam and the rocker arm last. What a treat. For the Ignition Cam it’s just a matter of drill/ream the 5/16 hole and part it off. Then put it in the mill and take off .0556” to form the flat. I’m sure this could be done with a file and some simple layout lines. Then just drill and tap for the setscrew.

2070 Ignition Cam.jpg

The rocker arm is just as per the Webster plans and straight forward. I got it milled out and cleaned up, I’ll drill it tomorrow.

2080 Rocker Arm.jpg

Well it looks like a have an entire day left to my own devices.

A while back I realised that with the shape of the frame it wasn’t going to be practical to use the flat rocker arm spring from the Webster plans. After some thinking I came up with a small trigger spring and I think it actually makes for a cleaner look. Still have to drill and tap the end of the rocker for the tappet, cut the rod to length and decide on some sort of a retainer.

3030 Rocker Arm (Medium).jpg

3035 Rocker Arm Spring (Medium).jpg

3050 Rocker Arm Spring (Medium).jpg

Got the points mounted. Just lined them up and drilled and tapped the holes. Damn this thing is getting close to needing some gas.
It’s been a fast build. Amazing what you can do with a couple of weeks of “do nothing” vacation to waste, and a little OCD. :D
I think I’m starting to burn out a bit, I get like a dog on a bone with these things some times.

3010 Overview (Medium).jpg

3020 Points (Medium).jpg

Hi Bob,
First I must apologize for not commenting earlier on your excellent build but have just gone back through the whole thing and am now going to add my 2 cents worth.
Your redesign of the Webster has turned into more of 'your design' and that's great. I really like how you have solved problems along the way, especially when you were making your piston rings. The flywheels turned out great. The curved spokes really set it off from the crowd.
All in all this is turning out to be a great build both from the design to the documentation.
Thanks for all the hard work.
gbritnell

Wow gbritnell. Thank you and no apology necessary. I love your engines. That Ford 300 is amazing, I want one! just I’m nowhere near that level.

As Brian put it some days it does feel like “posting in a vacuum” but when I think about it all it really means is that I haven’t done anything terribly wrong that day. When I am screwing up (please see piston rings) someone will jump in and politely steer me in the right direction.
This is where I start to worry about the lynch mob. :hDe:
I absolutely love the simplicity, ease of construction, versatility, and forgiving nature of the Webster design, but as my dad (a WWII guy) would have put it “it looks like something made by the Russians”. I’d modeled the Webster in CAD well over a year ago with plans to start one but every time I looked at the drawings I’d start changing things just a bit until it morphed into what I have here. “A Webster in a pretty dress”.

Hum. That could make an interesting thread. When does it become “your design?”

Hi Bob,
As Brian said, don't for one minute think that you are "talking to yourself". That applies to all the other regular posters/builders here too. So many of the rest of us read everything that you all post and generally just look on in awe thinking, jeez I wish I could do that. You are right of course that if you do stuff up, there will be plenty of comment, but hey, that's what forums like this one are for.:D

Ian.

I feel like I should say “Don’t Try This At Home”

OK. Things that won't work.
1 - Never use a small rubber O-ring to hold the rocker arm in place.
2 - Do not hold a Tarno Carburetor (from a Cox .049) in place with Teflon tape

3080 Rocker Arm (Medium).jpg

3090 Temp Carb (Medium).jpg

But . . . aerodynamically bumblebee can't fly.
It’s great not knowing what I’m doing. If I screw up I don’t know and just go ahead anyway. woohoo1

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bL6kr5PRLw&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Well this was a little unexpected I was just going to see if it would make a couple of pops
I’m not even sure what to say here.

Special Thank you out to Paul (Swifty), Jens Eirik (Mechanicboy) and Brian Rupnow for helping me get through the piston rings.
Everyone that dropped a note of encouragement along the way, and the guys over in the Q&A section.

But before this thread turns in to a chick flick, I’m going to go out to the garage, mix up some more fuel and giggle like a school girl.Rof}

Congratulations on a runner Bob, I will have to put one on the "to do" list. It's exciting getting an engine that you made yourself to run.

Paul.

Congrats on a runner. Looks great and starts really easy too. I still use electric drills to get my engines running.

Thanks guys.
Starting it was one of the things that drove me to take it out to the garage. It was really starting to gnaw at the back of my neck ever since I got the flywheels mounted. I only have around 1/8” of shaft sticking out beyond the collets and I didn’t want to have to mess up the look of the engine by adding anything. I’m very impressed with the cast rings, more luck than anything I did I think. Not much drag spinning the flywheels with the spark plug out and a nice solid PoP with it in. The needle valve on the carb is very touchy with only around 1/8 of a turn between running and dead.
It does feel great being my first crack at an IC, and it run better than I ever could have expected. Now all I have to do is STOP playing with and get it finished before I break something.

I find that it takes about 6 weeks before you quit playing with it after you get it running before you start thinking about building something else. Do you have any idea of how incredibly lucky you were to get that thing to go almost on the first try? The world if full of little engines similar to yours, setting up on shelves, that have never run!!! Their owners (mostly first time engine builders) got so frustrated from trying to start them and not having any success, that they polished them up, set them up on a shelf, and the engines have never and will never run. You did a great job and you are a very lucky fellow.---Brian

Top job mate and congratz on a first time runner.
icon14.gif

As per Brians post I am one of those with a runner on youtube "Thompson engine" and a on & off the shelf "Brass T" that I'm trying to get running. It fires and dies ,fires and dies:wall: but so help me it WILL run.:rolleyes:

Now that, that little project is finished maybe a chip tray for the saw.

He might be slow but by god he's rough he he.

Top job mate and congratz on a first time runner.
icon14.gif

As per Brians post I am one of those with a runner on youtube "Thompson engine" and a on & off the shelf "Brass T" that I'm trying to get running. It fires and dies ,fires and dies:wall: but so help me it WILL run.:rolleyes:

Now that, that little project is finished maybe a chip tray for the saw.

He might be slow but by god he's rough he he.

Hi Hat56
That Thompson engine is a very cool looking piece of kit. Runs great and looks like starts up nice. I’m jealous my shop is only 9 x 12 in the basement. I’ve seen a couple of casting kits that I’d like but they scare me. One slip and it’s game over, and if you’ve read this build I do make a lot of parts more than once. Hey. If this is the “Brass T” don’t ever run it. It’ll get dirty:eek:. I have green slime running down the side of the Webster.
Doing up the chip tray on the 4x6 moved up on the to-do list after I mentioned it to my wife.:fan:

brass_model_t_142.jpg

I got to say I love those collets on the flywheels. They run sweet and true and adjusting the timing is a snap.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRATGJJHMj4&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

The water jacket work. Longest run so far was 14 ½ minutes until it ran out of fuel.

Temperatures Celsius (Fahrenheit)
Block – 67.2 (153)
Water – 49.4 (121)
Carb – 35 (95)
Manifold – 39.4 (103)
Head – 44.4 (112)
[/FONT]

Latest posts

Back