Water Cooled Webster

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmac2

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I guess this thread started over in the “Questions and Answers” back in August. This will be my 7th engine and my first IC so I’ve decided on a Webster . . . sort of.
On the web site (http://home.comcast.net/~webster_engines/) I saw that the first Webster ran on January 3rd, 2004. After 10 years it would be interesting to find out just how many Websters there are in the world.

001 Webster 4Stroke (Medium).jpg

I’ve been going over the plans and doing it up in CAD for a couple of months now and I start to think that with the Webster it’s what’s on the inside that counts. As long as these parts and their relationship to each other is maintained, that’s all that really counts.

002 Webster 4 Stroke - What Counts (Medium).jpg

The size and style of the flywheel, frame, and the cooling, I just don’t think matter much. It says right on the web page “Very forgiving design - no super-critical dimensions”. Technically this could work.

003 Ugly Webster (Medium).jpg

One of the things I noted on the web page under Cons: was.
“Limited run time due to inadequate cooling, but I kinda figured this going into it. This engine was never meant to run 24/7, just the occasional smoke, fire, and noise show for friends and family... well, OK, me. Needs more and / or larger cooling fins, a fan, or possibly a water jacket on the cylinder. Not a major issue and certainly one that's easily resolved by thermally isolating the carb
Going into this with the philosophy that ignorance is bliss. I’m going to try for water cooled Webster. As long as I can keep the relationship of the basic components the same it’s still a Webster, just in a pretty dress. Just might see how “forgiving” the design really is.

I’ve got over 60 meg of files (most of them now useless) sitting on my drive so I think it’s time to stop drawing pictures, and start making some chips. My game plan is to push the edge on my skill levels on this and do the things I’ve always admired on other engines as well as try and do one part each day. I’ll see how that works out.
I’m going to start with the water jacket. For my skill level it’s going to be the most completed bit of machining I think I’ve done.
I starting with a 1 lb 7 5/8 oz. lump of aluminum and squared it up in the mill.

005 Water Jacket Blank (Medium).jpg

006 Squaring Up (Medium).jpg

I cut it down to size in the 4x6. I must get that “slide in slide out chip tray” Hat56 mentioned to me back in the Q&A mounted under this thing before my wife notices the floor. The “Cut Off This End” is because I didn’t bother square up that face.

007 Cut to size (Medium).jpg

Did a little rough layout on the sized block. I know a lot of people don’t but for me it’s just thinking out loud. Then set it up in the 4 jaw

008 Laying Out (Medium).jpg

009 Centered In The 4 Jaw (Medium).jpg

After drilling, drilling, and more drilling out to ¾”, I changed to a 5/8 boring bar to get it out to 1”.

010 Boring Out To 1 in (Medium).jpg

To cut the recess for the water jacket I found a small piece of stellite and ground it so I could plunge cut into the interior. It’s defiantly time for a cleanup.

020 Stellite Cutter (Medium).jpg

030 Cutting Recess For Water Jacket (Medium).jpg

After turning it over to put a shallow round on the back I moved it over to the mill to hog out the tank.

040 Milling Out The Water Tank (Medium).jpg

To round off the bottom I put a piece of 1” bar through the block then it’s just rotate, clamp, mill, and repeat.

050 Rounding Off The Bottom (Medium).jpg

060 Rounding Off The Bottom (Medium).jpg

I just cleaned up the bottom of the block on my belt sander. I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out but I can’t decide to start cleaning the shop with the Shop vac or a shovel.

080  Water Jacket (Medium).jpg

090  Water Jacket (Medium).jpg

100  Water Jacket Recess (Medium).jpg

I’m pooped, I’m happy and my wife is telling me there’s this thing upstairs called “supper”
Hey. Home shop weight loss program. “Lose 1 lb a day without dieting or excursive!”

110 Weight Loss Program (Medium).jpg

Thanks Swifty
I’ve been watching your Nemett Lynx build. Good looking engine.

Spent a little quality time with the 4x6 and 45 minutes later . . .

140 Spending A Little Quality Time With The 4x6    (Medium).jpg

150 45 Minutes Later (Medium).jpg

Can’t see any voids and it looked pretty consistent. Not that I know what it’s supposed to look like. I’ve got a Chinese milling vise I wish looked that good.

160 Doesn't look too Bad To Me (Medium).jpg

170 Doesn't look too Bad To Me (Medium).jpg

Did a cleanup cut just to see how it would come out and it was hard to get a good finish on it but as Paul (Swifty) pointed out back in Q&A
“Bob, you will find that it will always be hard to get a good finish on cast iron due to its grain structure. Even if you polish it, the surface will always have pits in it. Of course, the better the quality the smaller the pits are

180 Feels Hard (Medium).jpg

Back to the here and now. Took the OD down to 1” and started boring out the cylinder.

190 Boring (Medium).jpg

Latest posts

Back