Wallaby 30cc 4 Stroke

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well we had a brief break in the rain.

So I grabbed the chance to heat up some metal.

I wanted to use ZA27 alloy on this casting for the bearing quality and strength.

This is how they looked coming out of the sand.

DSCN4142.jpg

and after a quick buff up (it takes quite a nice shine )

DSCN4143.jpg

Thats all for now.

I'm off to make a piston

Bez

Looking great Bez
I can not wait to get my grubby little hands on em :big:
BTW did you take any pics when you cast up the Timing cover?
Pete
SANY0169.jpg

Hi Pete

yes I have got some pix of the timing cover.

The timing cover pattern is a one piece pattern.

here it is looking at the inside (obviously) ;D

IMG_0150-1.jpg

Below it is laid out in the flask with the other patterns and runners.

drag-1.jpg

When rammed up and turned over it looks like this before the sand goes in.

The small redblocks are the gates joining the runners to patterns.
The long red bar is a riser connection to assist in flow of the melt through the cavity
Inside the timing cover there are three clouts pointing up.

These are necessary because the inside transition at the parting line is quite sharp and consequently the sand core is very weak at this point.

The clouts provide additional strength to the mold and prevent the core tearing away from the drag during rapping of the timing cover, prior to lifting off the pattern.

cope-1.jpg

Bez

Well It has been a while since I posted. The best excuse I can come up with is the motor on the wood lathe kicked the bucket. This led to a range of challenges that have finally been overcome and we can get back to the wallaby castings.

This next casting or pattern at least is the piston.

The outside of which is little more than a very short broom handle. The reduction in diameter is a chucking piece this will be left in the chuck when the finished piston is parted off.

DSCN0009.jpg

DSCN0010.jpg

The cone is the core print to hold the core in place.

The inside is a little more complicated, with a reduction in diameter near the top and spigots (if that's the right term) for the gudgeon pin to pass through. about half way up.

This will be an interesting core box.

Here are a set of cores fresh out of the oven.

DSCN0011.jpg

And this is the core box, with the two gudgeon pin bosses ready to insert into the core box to leave metal for the gudgeon pin mounts.

DSCN0001.jpg

I planned to use Zinc allow ZA27. I wasn't sure how much shrinkage will occur around the core. (as it turns out, there is Nil shrinkage around the core) so there are two different size core boxes in the block.

Bellow is the core print pattern that sits across the end of the core box to make the end of the core tapered to fit in the core print in the mold.

DSCN0002.jpg

Core box partly assembled.

DSCN0005.jpg

Ramming up the core

DSCN0006.jpg

The finished Core

DSCN0007.jpg

From here the cores are baked for about 40 min. 180oC

Here is one piston, out of the first set of pistons cast. The inside diameter is oversize

So the next ones will made using cores from the smaller end of the core box.

DSCN0012.jpg

It shouldn't be a major problem that there is a little eccentricity between the inside diameter and the outsite diameter as the outside has to be machined be concentric anyway.

DSCN0013-1.jpg

Hi Bez
Those pistons are looking very slick my friend :bow:
For those who do not know, Bez cast up the Block, Sump and Timing cover for my current Work in progress "The Wallaby"
The Castings are excellent with no hard spots or blow holes.
As this is my first castings Engine its difficult for me to compare with others, but its hard to imagine they could get much better although im sure they will!!
Pete
op3.jpg

Latest posts

Back