Vertical, Inline 4-Cylinder Engine .....Wright Bros.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BronxFigs

Reaction score
Can any one direct me to the drawings/plans for this vintage engine? Are there any model-sized versions of this engine?

This engine features a cam-controlled exhaust valve, atmospheric intake valves, open sided crankcase design.

Thanks for any help.

Frank

deverett:

Thanks for the information. I'll give a look.

I am ashamed to admit that I can't provide any links, photos, etc. I don't know how either. What I really need is to have some smart-ass kid to sit with me, and show me how to work this newfangled PC.

Frank

Thanks for all the information and the links....however, the "Wright Flyer" seems to have used a horizontally mounted engine.

I did some additional research and the engine I'm looking for can be seen @: Museumvictoria.com.au Wright Model 'A' 1909 Aero Engine. This is a vertical, 4 cylinder inline engine....B/S= 112mm X 111mm, 30 HP @ 1,300 RPM, 4,372 cc, Compression Ratio: 4.165.... Built by Bariquand and Marre. Wish I could provide photos, and direct links. Just wondering if this was ever done as a scale-model, and if yes, who might have the drawings.

This Straight-4 doesn't look too difficult, and I just want to replicate the "look" of this vintage, Aero engine. Drawings would help. I'm wondering if the wright Bros. Museum might have just the engine drawings. I have no interest in drawings for the actual airplane.

Frank

If you page down several pages, there are details of the vertical engine you speak of. These engines were so powerful for their weight that they were licensed to several companies abroad.

Thank your for the additional information. And, yes....this is the 4 cylinder inline engine.

Can anyone direct me to a source/retailer who is selling the drawings for this engine, either full-scale, or, a scaled version? Just the engine.

Many thanks for the help.

Frank

EDIT: (See link in reply #5).... Figure 17 shows a side view, and description of the stationary, Hit and Miss engine that was used in the Wright shop. The description of the gearless 2:1 reduction, pivoting-cam mechanism is very interesting, but I'll be damned if I could figure out how this contraption worked.

Anybody?

The cam follower causes the crescent to pivot from one position to the other. On the first revolution, the follower takes the inside track and flips the crescent. On the next revolution, the follower encounters the crescent contacting the inner shaft and the follower traces the outside of the crescent and of course flips it back.

Latest posts

Back