V8 Cylinde head

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelvin2164

Reaction score
Hi
I'm new to model engines. My history is 5" gauge live steam locos, but my next project will be a 1/4 scale V8. So much new knowledge to gather.
Today's question. Are the heads water cooled. I can see the cooling between the cylinder liners, but not in the head. Link to pics would be nice. Also I cant see any lubrication methods for the valve gear in the heads.

To date I have only built one V-8 configuration engine. I am currently working on my second which is a flathead. Both have water cooling through the heads. When I built my 302 V-8 engine I drew a picture of the head from the end and laid out all the features, head bolt holes, pushrod holes and porting. In the remaining area I drilled through holes from end to end. These serve as the water channels. From the head deck face I drilled up into these holes. This allowed the water to flow from the block to and through the head to the intake manifold and back to the radiator. The only way to have constant lubrication to the top end of the head is to build an engine with a pressure oil system and provide an internal or external route to get the oil up there.
In the pictures of the block and head that are attached you can see the head bolt holes and the remaining holes are the water passages.
gbritnell

302 FORD CROP 4.jpg

302 FORD CROP 5.jpg

302 FORD CROP 7.jpg

IMG_7226.jpg

Reactions: gus
I think you have discouraged me. Is that a full size head or a model head. So much detail. Is it a casting? I was going to do castings for head and block, but not with that much detail !!!!
So the water goes in the front of the block on each bank, up through the head and back? Does not do a full circuit across the back of the block and back out the front of the opposite bank? I'm just imagining avoiding creating areas of stagnant coolant.

In most standard V8 engines you've got coolant in the engine block, cylinder heads, and intake manifold. Remember that's where the thermostat and upper radiator hose live :)

Don't be discouraged though, with enough careful planning ahead of time I'm sure you'll figure out where all the water jackets want to be! The world needs more mini V8's!

You might want to look at Steve Huck's Demon V8 as an easier model to do as a first try.

George is a genius at carving those "castings" out of barstock, and perhaps his example might be a bar too high right now.

I followed one of Steve's V8 builds on this forum. All entralling 129 pages of it. But I cant find his Demon V8 build anywhere. Do you have a link.

That thread you read would have been for the Demon Kevin

Back