Useing a coin as a size comparison (not wise)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xatxtal

Reaction score
The pound started about 100 X 50 mm X thin (.05mm ish) or even bigger but I was then a babby.
It got smaller and smaller by size and changed material to brass, now it is a little washer before the hole is punched, the two pound one is a washer with a plug in the middle to fill the hole.
As inflation continues the hole will fall out. :Doh:
In fact it is now over a pound to purchase a penny washer, and we had 320 in the old pound, I think.
:big: :big: :big: :big: :big: :big:
The value is so small (when I was a boy I could purchase 20 pints of beer for one pound) but always had change from a pound as I fell over around the tenth pint. Rof} Rof} Rof} Rof} Rof}
Now one pound does not even get one a half pint of lemonade without the lemon.
I would post pictures of the pound to compare sizes but I cannot find one even though I put 20 in my pocket!
:D :D :D :D :D
Ps I have evidence to show that my Grandfather purchased a house for just ten of them, but they wassss Biggg then. pounds that is!
Happy New Year to all you good folk
Trev

xatxtal said:
The value is so small (when I was a boy I could purchase 20 pints of beer for one pound) but always had change from a pound as I fell over around the tenth pint. Rof} Rof} Rof} Rof} Rof}
Now one pound does not even get one a half pint of lemonade without the lemon.
I would post pictures of the pound to compare sizes but I cannot find one even though I put 20 in my pocket!........................

One pound Sterling used to equal 20 shillings,
One shilling was 12 pence,
So there were 240 pence to the pound (Sterling, not Avoirdupois or Troy).

I could purchase 12 pints of beer for £1.00 when I first entered a period of libation, but I was only paid £2 12s 6d per week as an apprentice (approx 30 pints). Average manual wage of £14 approx would buy you therefore 275 pints if you wished to spend all of that on beer. Rof}

£15.00 in 1963 is equivalent to around £250 using RPI, but average wages are in fact £541. At my £2.50 a pint I can get 216 pints, enough for me (oh and that is gross wages, not net. Income tax rates (30% basic rate + lower allowances) were higher in those days as well so our consumption would have been reduced more than it is today, about on a par I would expect!

xatxtal said:
Ps I have evidence to show that my Grandfather purchased a house for just ten of them, but they wassss Biggg then. pounds that is!
Happy New Year to all you good folk
Trev

But wages was little then :( It's amazing how those spectacles increase their rose tinted density the further we get from the past. 8)

Best regards for the New Year all

But weight seems to work the other direction.

When I was 25 years old I weighed 147 pounds and could lift 175 pounds.

Today I weigh 175 pounds and lifting 14.7 pounds hurts my back! :shrug:

Rick

My Friend John and I moved a lathe into my basement years ago....we're big strapping kinda guys and at the time we were still young ( ie stupid) enough to get 1 guy on one side and one on the other and just pick the )@#)( UP!

10 YEARS went by...time to move the lathe again....we got into the same position and we found scientific proof that Iron gets heavier with age! :big:....the beer still tasted the same though

What I got paid as an apprentice in 1966 for one week, would today buy me one pint of beer (in happy hour) :D

steamer said:
My Friend John and I moved a lathe into my basement years ago....we're big strapping kinda guys and at the time we were still young ( ie stupid) enough to get 1 guy on one side and one on the other and just pick the )@#)( UP!

10 YEARS went by...time to move the lathe again....we got into the same position and we found scientific proof that Iron gets heavier with age! :big:....the beer still tasted the same though

But did you also know that contrary to popular opinion one actually gets taller as one ages. I am finding it much more difficult to reach that far down to the floor to pick up that dropped coin nowadays. And like a true scientist I have done extensive research to prove it - I have asked all of my friends if they have the same experience as I do and almost without exception they agreed.

Terry (would have a smiley here but there is not one with a tongue in cheek)

steamer said:
;D try this one...... ::)

Dave

or :p or
f_tongueincheek.gif

I've tried to use BEER as a basis on which to compare wages...a ww2 veteran friend and I worked this through.

As a member of the Paras we estimated that he earned the equivalent of about 2 cases ( 24 here in Canada ) - about 70$ in today money. As almost all of his other expenses were covered, that didn't seem too bad.

I tell my students, to heck with this modeling business I'm going to just make a giant penny and occasionally post pictures of it next to various engines and machines"

Latest posts

Back