Unusual sliding cylinder steam engine model

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChooChooMike

Reaction score
While I was out rummaging around an antiques flea-market (or is that fleece-market::) ), I came across this steam engine model. It has a very unusual configuration where the cylinder itself moves/slides as well as the piston/valve gear. I've never seen anything like it before ??!!

If anyone has more info, please post it here. I don't think this unique style of steam engine ever caught on. I can only imagine this style of engine had to be a maintenance/lubricationnitemare in full-size version. The guy selling it didn't know the history of the model, but suggested the moving cylinder configuration could result in an effective longer piston stroke in a more compact space. It has a reversing lever and looks like the piston is moving opposite of the crank/crosshead motion ??

I would have loved to buy the model, but he was asking something like $900 which was waaaaayyyy out of my price range for a curiosity.

Here's 3 short vid's showing different angle of operation. They're a bit choppy due to me trying to hold the vid cam with one hand and turn the flywheel with the other.

[youtube=425,350]RGCjISBw2pU[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]VwWXQPo7kgs[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]AMzWEnm4HQk[/youtube]​

Very interesting design. As you alluded to it seems like way too many moving parts. Neat idea for a model though!

I love it!

Building your first running engine is a GREAT accomplishment.
It's a personal challenge that has been met.
I hope we see EVERY first runner here!!!

After you build 40 of them the challenge disappears.
A design as drastic as this one would give that challenge back to you.

Thanks for sharing the info Mike!

Rick

Maybe it's just a novel way to balance the engine...

cfellows said:
Maybe it's just a novel way to balance the engine...
I can't see it being balanced with the cylinder moving one way and piston, crank, eccentrics, cross-head moving in who knows what way :)

It's certainly a unique engine model !!

Latest posts

Back