3D printed engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
A good friend who's into rare and unusual engines came up with this. It known as a toroidal swinging piston engine. He asked me if I could make a printed model of it for him. I made all the CAD models and printed them on my printer. The engineering behind it is it has a disc connected to the main shaft. Attached to this disc are 4 pistons. The main shaft drives a second disc with 4 pistons though an internal ring gear and scotch yoke setup. As the first ring and piston move the second ring and pistons oscillates to close the gap between pistons thereby creating combustion chambers and pushing out exhaust gasses and taking in a fresh air/fuel charge. It's like a 4 stroke operating principal but without valves. It fires 2 combustion chambers simultaneously and does this 4 times per revolution.
The engine was made around the early 1900's and is quite a mechanical and machining achievement for the time. Little is known of the manufacturer but has a carburetor from an early Indian motorcycle.

Attachments

• 20230411_195548.jpg
    20230411_195548.jpg
    692.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230411_195606.jpg
    20230411_195606.jpg
    705.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230411_195621.jpg
    20230411_195621.jpg
    668.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230411_195630.jpg
    20230411_195630.jpg
    588.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3944.JPG
    IMG_3944.JPG
    650.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3945.JPG
    IMG_3945.JPG
    659.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3946.JPG
    IMG_3946.JPG
    683.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3947.JPG
    IMG_3947.JPG
    704.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3948.JPG
    IMG_3948.JPG
    688.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3949.JPG
    IMG_3949.JPG
    699.5 KB · Views: 4
I would like to see some design drawings for this engine. I can't get my head around the description. My fault, not yours!

Hi Lee,
I'll make an exploded view of the engine and post it.

Some aspects of Solidworks I'm not familiar with so when I get into new areas I have to self teach with the aid of Youtube. Here are some screen shots of the engine.
Just the one that I took the dimensions from. I have searched quite a bit for toroidal engines and have found many versions but nothing like this one,.

Attachments

• assem3.jpg
    assem3.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 3
  • explode 1.jpg
    explode 1.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 3
  • explode 2.jpg
    explode 2.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 2
A good friend who's into rare and unusual engines came up with this. It known as a toroidal swinging piston engine. He asked me if I could make a printed model of it for him. I made all the CAD models and printed them on my printer. The engineering behind it is it has a disc connected to the main shaft. Attached to this disc are 4 pistons. The main shaft drives a second disc with 4 pistons though an internal ring gear and scotch yoke setup. As the first ring and piston move the second ring and pistons oscillates to close the gap between pistons thereby creating combustion chambers and pushing out exhaust gasses and taking in a fresh air/fuel charge. It's like a 4 stroke operating principal but without valves. It fires 2 combustion chambers simultaneously and does this 4 times per revolution.
The engine was made around the early 1900's and is quite a mechanical and machining achievement for the time. Little is known of the manufacturer but has a carburetor from an early Indian motorcycle.
Another beauty George! I’m still unpacking and reviewing your 3D printed Ford small block files and here you come with this gem, not to mention being stalled on my 3D printed Elmer’s #5!!!

John W

I would think that this engine would share the problem of tip seals with Wankel engines. The pistons have to seal against the engine case. The size of the piston head contact patch with the engine case is large and would produce a lot of drag. Their must be a seal or piston ring that does the actual compression work.

I would think that this engine would share the problem of tip seals with Wankel engines. The pistons have to seal against the engine case. The size of the piston head contact patch with the engine case is large and would produce a lot of drag. Their must be a seal or piston ring that does the actual compression work. There is also a circular wiper ring that seals the inner circumference
Each piston has spring-loaded wipers,top and bottom, which seal much like a piston ring would do. There is also a circular spring loaded wiper to seal the inner circumference. Quite an elaborate affair especially for the early teens.

Latest posts

Back