uh oh annother retreaded sort of newbie

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sourdoughsmitty

Reaction score
HI all,
Well after 30 years of not touching a lthe i thought I would maybe take a stab at it again.I was thinking of the bench top typpe as I have a neighbor nearby who is selling a central machinery 7x10 lathe along with a mini mill and a load of tooling and some material and dvd's on building steam engines. the equip is 2 yrs old with only a few hours on it --less than 10 all of this for 500. given that the price of the mill new is over 500 right now this seems like a deal, I am old enough to remeber sb's and atlas benchmodels which I might prefer but this package is so tempting. so any ideas ,advice etc? I have been reading some of the forums and looked at all the tweaking you can do to these pretty interesting well hope to hear from someone on this thanx smitty

Smitty,

Buy them. I did the same thing back in May off of Craigs list. Once adjusted and dialed in the machines are fine to get started in the hobby.

Bob

i dont have any benchtop machines myself but everyone else here seems to have good luck with the import mini lathes and mills after a bit of cleanng up, adjustment and so on.

Smitty, welcome to HMEM.

Yes, what Bob said. Sounds like a good buy. I have both those machine. They are not as bad as many think they are. However, they are not ready to run right out of the box. There are people here who can help.

By the way, there are many of us BAMs (born again machinist) around ;D

Welcome to the forum 'sourdough'

I also say buy them. Play with them. If you want better...sell them. At the price you're talking about...you'll get your investment back.

When you get them, ask all the questions you want. Loads of helpful people here.

Tell us more about yourself and what you want to build.

Get some pics too!

sourdough,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

ive a great idea buy them send them to me :big: ha ha no really that sounds like a great deal i would get them if i was there even though i have some already

and a Big Welcome to a great place for all p.s. we do love pics Thm:

HI GUYs ,
thanx for the welcome ;D it is going to be a long week waiting for this to occur as I have just sold most of my collectable flying model stuff to pay for this now waiting for money in hand .I am a sadly transplanted alaskan down in wa st near wenatchee (planet apple) I do a lot of tackle work ,and face it using a huge 13x40 lathe at work to turn ferrules is a bit of overkill :big: besides the inconvenience of not being able to leave a setup .my main interests are tackle repair light gun work and some of the small engines I see here. I was looking at the listing for all this equipment and it includes the metal and dvd's to build with if these are the dvd's i am thinking of they are spendy in their own right I added up the aprox now replacement cost for this setup and it is over 2000.00 at a guess especially when you see that the mill alone w/o tooling is over 600. these are the cetral machinery models basically the same as you but from grizzly etc. Have enjoyed much in the research of these machines and what can be done to improve them ,also sent for the small machine shop catalog . thanx all smitty

Hi there,

was just reading your post, and saw you are a relocated Alaskan, I spent pretty much the entire 90's up there, lived in Wasilla, and worked on the slope.....Just thought I'd say hi

Welcome to HMEM Sourdough. wEc1
Glad to have you with us.
I grew up in Alaska in the 40's, 50's, and early 60's. Anchorage, Fairbanks and McGrath area.
Gail in NM

Go for it sourdough:

I started with a 7x 10 and later a mini mill i still have them and use them . I have since upgraded to a South Bend 9" and added a shaper to the mix.
Welcome to the forum.
Tin

Latest posts

Back