well now I did it

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sourdoughsmitty

Reaction score
HI guys,
Well the last post I did on this was on the welcome page, where I had located a lathe and mill for a low price , it was all the add claimed, this stuff was used a few hours and put away. This equipment is still new, the question I have is the mill is the central machinery # 44991 mini mill now I do not like the idea of using a drill chuck to mount end mills the owners book says it has an r8 spindle but the drill chuck is a jt 33 is there a set of milling holders I can get for this? , do I order a r8 adapter or what ? ??? the rest of the package lathe and tooling was quite extensive I added up the cost of current cost and figured I had just purchased over 2000.00 worth of toys and tooling for 500 not bad for a retread ;D any help here would be appreciated
thanx smitty

If that has an R8 spindle then the world is your oyster. There is an incredible selection of tools and tool holding in R8. End mills in a drill chuck is just as ugly as that sounds...

Sounds like a great deal though!

Smitty,
There are actually two tapers on the drill chuck arbor. An R8 to fit the mill spindle, the JT33 is on the other end and slips into the back of the drill chuck. They are actually two pieces held together by the JT33.

Order a set of R8 collets from Little Machine Shop on the web. You don't want to hold an end mill in a drill chuck.

the x-2 mill comes in two versions one with a mT 3 taper the other R8.
Like the others have said r-8 is the better of the two more common tooling .
Tin

ksouers said:
Smitty,
There are actually two tapers on the drill chuck arbor. An R8 to fit the mill spindle, the JT33 is on the other end and slips into the back of the drill chuck. They are actually two pieces held together by the JT33.

Order a set of R8 collets from Little Machine Shop on the web. You don't want to hold an end mill in a drill chuck.

If cost is an issue you can save some money by just getting a 3/8" and a 1/2" end mill holder for the R8 mill. Quite a large number of end mills have these two shank sizes.

Thanx Guys,
Just what I needed to know , r/e mills in a drill chuck ,well I watched a guy at work who swore he did it all the time in a drill press, well the law of averages caught up with him :eek: it was not pretty . will be glad this week when I sort out all of the stuff and set up the machines and most importantly ;D play !!
thanx all smitty

Back