Twin stema engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reneepaiva

Reaction score
Hi all,

After take a look on so many steam engines here, I decided to design my own one.
Based in some articles about exhaust and admission, here is the result.
It's a twin oscillating steam engine.
I'd like that if you have some sugestions, tips or corrections, feel free to do it please!
Fun will start next week.

Tks.

meumotor.jpg

meumotor2.jpg

meumotor3.jpg

Interesting design! Enjoy yourself and, if you have time, post a build log.

Are you making the plans available. seeing the plans could help evaluate the design.
you need springs rounder the pivot bolts . this could just be a detail you did not draw.
Tin

Your frame sides look thin to me IMHO you need to go 1 1/2 x -2 x on the frane and bearing block thickness. May be a little flimsey.

Hi,

Could you also post a 3D version of that engine, so we could have a look inside and around it. If you do just save your project as STEP or STP format. Most of the 3D software programs can read it.

Chris

you are building this to power a steam boat.
IMHO you would be better with 3/8 material .

that engine is pretty tall. the thickness to length ratio just does not thrill me.
also yo do not have much wall thickness to work with for fasteners you risk either paper thin edge distance or tiny fasteners. and you have no room for error if a drill tries to wander.

I have build about a dozen simple engines and I have looked at studied and drawn a good number of steam engines.
I would just not want to see those side plates fail on you.
If you look at Elmer's engines you will see he uses 3/8 for the bearing supports on most of his engines.
Tin

Tks Tin for all information.
I'll change for 10mm the side frames. But I must resise other parts too because of it. I gonna do it right now.

Reneé

much easier to adjust a parametric drawing than re machine everything.
Tin

You're right. Here is the archive updated.
I made one complete cylinder in wood and supply it with compressed air and it runs ok.
I think that now I could start my engine. ;D

Reneé.

Thanks Reneé
I had a inside peek, looks nice...;)

Chris

Latest posts

Back