Torx screw

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lensman57

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to make a small face mill-fly cutter with 06 02 04 ccmt carbide bits. How can I set these with a torx screw ? Is there a special tap for these screws or the metric tap could do the job.
Many thanks for any advice.

Regards,

A.G

Hi Tin,

Thank you for your reply, the ccmt inserts that I have are all 06 02, the 02 refers to the size of the torx screw in mm I believe. Would I be able to use a metric tap to make the hole or is there a special tap for these screws? I can get American tap sizes such as 2 56 and so on here in the UK as well.

Regards,

A.G

Torx I believe just relates to the head design of the screw, such as philips or slotted, etc. the threaded part would be a standard thread be it metric or inch.

yes torx is just the head design. threads are identical to regular bolts

The 02 does not refer to the thread, it referes to the thickness of the insert so don't assume the size is M2.

J

Hi,

Thanks to all with your replies. I feel a lot better now that I don't have to hunt down a mystery tap.

Regards,

A.G

The commercial insert holders and mills I have use Torx screws ranging from M3 to M4, including the uncommon M3.5.
Before scrounging the commericial ones, I had made some holders using commercial M3 and M4 socket head screws I had in the drawers, having tapered the bottom of the head.
Definitely not the best choice, but I quit using them before replacing the screws: the torx screws they sell for holding inserts are probably much better quality, but sure they come at a price.
The diameter of the hole into the insert should tell You what screw thread You should use.

Marcello

mzt said:
The commercial insert holders and mills I have use Torx screws ranging from M3 to M4, including the uncommon M3.5.
Before scrounging the commericial ones, I had made some holders using commercial M3 and M4 socket head screws I had in the drawers, having tapered the bottom of the head.
Definitely not the best choice, but I quit using them before replacing the screws: the torx screws they sell for holding inserts are probably much better quality, but sure they come at a price.
The diameter of the hole into the insert should tell You what screw thread You should use.

Marcello

Hi Marcello,

I agree with you regarding the silly prices of these screws. I bought some spare ones ( claimed to be swiss made) just in case I lost or damaged the ones on the tool, the price was nearly 10% of the price of the tool and the inserts, but they do hold the bit well.

Regards,

A.G

Hi Guys,
M3.5 is not so unusual, it is I believe, used quite a lot in mains electrical outlets here in the good(?) old UK, but don't use any of them to hold inserts as they are brass.
I bought some M3.5 Torx insert screws from Jenny at JB Cutting for £1.50 each if memory serves. Most UK modelling exhibition goers will know who I mean but that is not much use for you poor foreigners. ;)
Ned

Latest posts

Back