"Topsy" 0.375c.c. compression ignition engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadrage17

Reaction score
This is my first build it is a engine called "Topsy" 0.375cc compression ignition engine by G Hugh.
Should be an interesting first build , got the plans , going to start it next week .
It should look like this hopefully...

Pictures to come ...

Thanks Roadrage.

RR,

Good luck with your build. IMHO these are fascinating little engines.

Plenty of piccys please
Flahssssss.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Roadrage,
Small compression ignition engines are fun.
I am just finishing up a work in progress thread on a series of three that are about 1.6 times the displacement of yours. If you have not seen it, it is at:

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=4422.0

There are a few tips in it that work for me. Of course everyone has their own way of doing things.

Please keep us posted as it progresses, and of course photos are always appreciated.

Gail in NM,USA

heey guys

thanks GailInNM ive had a quick look and some of the processes you did wer interesting.
hopfully get some build time tomoz so some pics then.

thxs roadrage

oki here we go first day

Thought i wud make a start on the crankcase .
its made out of dural. have plenty left over for muck ups lol.

photo150v.jpg

Then here we go think i went overboard on the amont of pictures
Also my camera died so theres no pics of me on the divideing head.

photo151.jpg

photo152u.jpg

photo153.jpg

photo154h.jpg

photo155.jpg

Show you how small it is.

photo156.jpg

well thxs for looking , its starting to look like something lol

Roadrage

Very cool roadrage17! Thm: Did you purchase the plans or are they a download?

Thanks roadrage17 for the prompt answer.

had few hours build time so heres some pics of what i a have done...

My set up.

photo157qvb.jpg

Putting the rads on the underside of the crankcase..

photo158aew.jpg

What i ended up with after my lunch break hehe...

photo161a.jpg

thats all for now

thanks roadrage

RR17,

Very nice. :bow: Gee it looks to be very small, can you put a rule against it in some future shot please. ???

Edit:
smiley-signs081.gif
Just looked at it in your hand - "IT IS SMALL"

Best Regards
Bob

hey guys

i have a question when i get to lapping the cylinder and piston , im not really going to have a clue.
the piston going to be made out of cast iron and cylinder out of EN25 or 24 cant remember similar to toolsteel i think .
the way im thinking about is to turn up a piece of material to the size i want to cylinder bore to be and just run it up and down on the lathe with some lapping paste.

questions..
1. Is what ive just said correct?
2. What material should i use to lap?
3. How much should i be under sized on piston or cylinder?
4. should i mate cylinder and piston.

haha :big: thxs bob , yes it is small i didnt realize that it would be that small lol.
And more still got to come of it yet. Not going to be much bigger and 1" .

RR17

RR17,

Bob's version of lapping.

1. If your lap is made to the bore size then the bore will be oversize when its lapped. I try to machine the bore to 0.001" undersize and the last thou is removed by the lapping process. The lap must be small enough to accommodate this plus some lapping compound plus working room - say 1/64". The lap to cyl length ratio should be a minimum 3:1, i.e. the lap should be 3 times longer than the cylinder.

2. Ideally the lap should be of a softer material than the object being lapped - definitely NOT harder.

3. cyl 0.001" under piston 0.001" over.

4. Most definitely - I do this by mating them with tallow after the piston has entered the bore about 80% of the way by a hand push.

It is very important that ALL traces of lapping compund are removed before attempting to mate the parts.

Hope this helps. ??? ???

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks bob all helpful and i saw your video on it and thats the way im going to do it .

One question though say that the piston had to me 1" , so i would turn it down to 1.001 like you were saying, but with the lapping material did you mean the 1/64 is how much it should be undersize to the piston so 0.984 is what i should turn the lap to . Am i just confusing myself. sorry if im not making sense :big:.

thxs

RR17

RR17,

Yep, it's easy to get confused. :mad:

For a piston and bore of 1" nom.

cylinder length 2" - Lap length min 6" lap diameter 0.985"

Piston length 3/4" - Lap length max 1/4" lap diameter 1.015"

The 1/64" clearance applies irrespective of the aimed for diameters, (within reason).

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
Bob

Got you bob thxs for your help, Im sure you will come in handy when i get stuck ;D
any reccommend lapping paste to be used?

Best regards RR17

RR17,

I use automotive valve grinding paste fine, followed by dremel polishing paste, and lastly tallow for the mating.

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
RR17,

I use automotive valve grinding paste fine, followed by dremel polishing paste, and lastly tallow for the mating.

Best Regards
Bob

Bob, What does the tallow do? I never heard of this before. I have heard of lapping and such but not mating and tallow. I thought the lapping took care of the fine fit.

Ron

Ron,

The tallow acts as a wetting agent and allows movement between 2 parts which would not be possible using lubricating oil. In the case of a model CI engine the compression ratio is from about 16:1 to 20:1 and relies on the fit of the piston and contra piston in the cylinder to achieve this. The wetting action of the tallow allows the final face to face mating to a very fine tolerance. The mating is complete when the tallowed power piston will pass all the way through the cylinder with a reasonably tight hand push.

Hope that explains it. ???

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back