Tightening a hammer head

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, back hoe or black hole?...

Sorry could not let that one go past, bet you have an iPad too :hDe:

Yes an iPad!

IPad is a great little machine but it does embarrass you from time to time with un caught auto corrects.

Re hammering on a hammer with another hammer: There is a reason that when making chisels etc, you harden and temper the cutting end and leave the other end soft. Hardened steel impacting on hardened still will splinter and fly about the place.

I was an engine fitter by trade for the last fifty years worked in a shipyard and had my own engineering works, in all these years I have never seen a broken hammer but I have seen splinters flying from hitting another hammer or some hardened steel pins such as a gudgeon pin, or wrist pin, for our American friends. In fact I have a friend who is blind from one eye with such an action. Always use safety goggles!!! As for using steel pipes for hammer handle, I have two, two pound hammers with steel pipe handles which I have been using for the last twenty-five years with good results no more broken handles or loose heads:)))

Found a new estwing 8oz ballpien at the Kinzer R &T flea market. The head will not loosen.
Tin

spin_prod_226003101

... in all these years I have never seen a broken hammer

Me neither (40 years in toolmaking, construction, powerstations etc etc) but I have seen a broken anvil. My buddy in Montana had one with the heel broken clean off. Perhaps a combination of their minus 40 degree climate and hot steel? I always wondered if the departing very heavy lump landed on the blacksmith's foot. Ouch.

So if it is possible to break an anvil in twain, I am sure the same is possible with a hammer.

Found a new estwing 8oz ballpien at the Kinzer R &T flea market. The head will not loosen.
Tin

spin_prod_226003101

Hi Tin Falcon,

Missed the flea markets. Went to many when I was posted to
Campbellsville,Kentucky 1988. Sigh .If only I could haul back all the items to Singapore.:wall::wall:
Missed the Potatoe Skins with the fabulous toppings ,all of which adds on to my waistline.:hDe::hDe:

Latest posts

Back