Tight Thread manufacture ideas needed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picclock

Reaction score
Seems a little crazy but I have a need to make some adjustment threads tight so that I can repeatedly set them and not worry about them loosening or altering. The threads in question are M6 internal, using cap head screws.

I want something like those nylock nuts in terms of friction.

The only robust idea I've been able to come up with is to thread a plate m6, like a threaded thick washer, then tighten it like a locking nut, and clamp it when the desired degree of friction is achieved. This also has the advantage that if it becomes loose I can just reset it. But it seems rather unwieldy for such a simple function.

Better ideas or help in any form much appreciated.

Many Thanks

picclock

Why not just a spring under the head of the screw, that's the usual way of doing it.

picclock

How about drilling and tapping at 90 degrees to the screw that you want to be adjustable. Put a nylon screw in this hole rubbing up against the adjustment screw. As the adjustment screw looses friction this nylon screw can be tightened restoring the friction.

Another idea is to drill a small hole in the side of the adjustment screw threads. Cut and fit a piece of nylon into this hole leaving it flush with the top of the thread. Now screw the adjustment screw into place and the nylon will interfere with the female threads and act as would a nylock nut.

Tel's idea is excellent as well. Whatever works best in your situation.

Cheers :)

Don

@ tel
Thanks for the response. The spring idea is good but because the range of adjustment is around 25mm I'm not sure this is the best way to go.

@ dsquire
The first suggestion seems an ideal solution, and for this application adjustment from the side is a bonus. I may even use a nylon slug with a concave end to match the 6mm diameter with a M6 grub screw for adjustment - this appears to be the ideal solution.

Thinking about it, it seems obvious, but I think my mind is so taken up with the rest of it, it stalls at these simple things.

Many thanks and much appreciation for your time.

Best Regards

picclock

Back