Three cylinder Radial

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems that I'm getting a little faster...it hasn't been a year since the last part and I've machined something else for the radial!

Anyway, I started today with the nut blanks (as I call them) and a little arbor that I made to hold them for machining the flats.

Radialnutblanks.jpg

Radialnuttap.jpg

Radialnutarbor.jpg

The first thing that I needed to do was thread the nut blanks (refer to photos) Then I cut a screw driver slot in the arbor lock nut so that I could tighten it easily.

Radialnutarborslot.jpg

Finally, I zeroed the DRO to the circumference of the nut blank, which is parted off from .250” round stock, and decided on a .250” mill bit. So, I moved the mill bit +.125 on the Y axis, to where mill bit is just about touching the nut blank, then moved in .030” for a rough cut, then a .0015” finish cut. I used an index block in the mill vice so after cutting each side I just removed it, turned it one facet, and put it back in the vice to machine the next facet.

Radialnutmachined.jpg

Radialnutmachinedclose.jpg

It worked out pretty well, I just need to polish the sides of the nuts a little.

Radialnutonpenny.jpg

Radialnutwrench.jpg

Radialnuts.jpg

On a side note: I ran out of Protap oil and opened the spare container that I had. I was surprise when the oil came out clear, so I checked the part number and found it to be the same. I was pleased to find that the new formula works better than the old dark Protap that I just used up.

Protapcolor.jpg

Protappartno.jpg

Latest posts

Back