Threading with an AL320G Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the replies.well thats the first thing i was doing wrong, i had the lever in the other position. but with the gears where your arrow is pointing the set up was similar but with the small gear on the inside.now to get the two big gears on the outside to mesh (50 and 40)i undone like you said that stud and pushed it out to the max so they would mesh but to get the inside gear to mesh the big gear hits on the stud with the oiler thing in it.On the weekend i will try using the lathe chart and the lever in the other position,by the the way i`m from just outside ballarat, cheers dave

Dave, glad we could help. The other adjustment in the gear train is the nut partly shown in the bottom of my photo. This lets a cluster of gears drop away. It should let you get the outer gears to mesh nicely. For what its worth, I got this right once and then months later had exactly the same problem you did. I finally remembered to engage the lever I pointed out..... I guess now you can appreciate the advantages of a gearbox to set the thread pitch.... I just did not have the room for the next sized lathe up. I think you will find you've bought a very good and robust lathe.

Just make sure you bolt it down if you are using the factory stand. Read my shed thread to know why! I have documented a number of tweaks I've made to the AL320G in that thread.

well i done it.i made a thread to suit a nut 3/8 bs cycle thread 26 tpi a bit rough but i can improve,i found i had to play around with the minimum size so that after threading the thread was small enough for the nut to thread on, if it had`nt been for this forum i probably would have just given up so thank you

first thread 014.jpg

Latest posts

Back