This winter's project. A transmission for the 302 engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iron Block and Crankshaft....

12_12.jpeg

1b_12.jpeg

Ford Mini Crankshaft 004.jpg

Ford Mini Crankshaft 001.jpg

Not that you even need to make a pattern!

BillC

Ford Mini Crankshaft 003.jpg

Ford Mini Crankshaft 002.jpg

George, still following with my mouth wide open at every picture you post, it seems just almost unreal to me! You can be glad that you live far away otherwise i would be nagging every day until you will alow me one day in your shop for some lessons in machining metal ;D

Cant wait for the updates on this project!

Regards Jeroen

Great googly moogly George!!
The work you do is unbelievable! Super , Great, the only bad thing is, if your doing machining, I wonder what it is I'm doing, cause there is no comparison.
Keep up the great posts--I never tire of them and always learn something from them.
John

:eek:
There arent enough expletives in the english language for that, and I mean that in the most positive way. Just.... speechless.
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Ill go off into my corner now hoping someday to do a job that well.

Thanks everyone for the comments. As we have all realized on some of the lengthy build projects it's hard to continually add comments so I would expect that the responses would diminish but the pictures and information will definitely continue.
I found some time between other jobs to fit the top cover in. It's not a big piece but yet required a great amount of setup work for all the different angular shapes and contours. The inside needed sculpting also to allow clearance for the shift linkages and shafts. When I find a little spare time I will get to the hand finishing phase for the cover. Yesterday I got the input shaft housing machined. While stepping around all the ribs and bosses I lost track of the home made holder position and the set screw did a little damage to the very end of the housing. When I finished up the milling I put it back in the lathe, cut off the marred end, counterbored it and made up a pressed in plug. Other than a small visible line around the tip it's non the worse for wear.
George

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

The last set of pictures show one more shot of the inside of the top cover, two with the cover installed on the main case and one of the detailing around the input shaft housing and of course the visible line at the end of the housing.
George

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2318.jpg

I always look forward to your posts George and the top looks terrific. Amazing as always!!

Bill

gbritnell said:
Thanks everyone for the comments. As we have all realized on some of the lengthy build projects it's hard to continually add comments so I would expect that the responses would diminish

I'll bet everyone still watches, George. It's just hard to come up with some new way to say
"That looks fantastic". ; )
Well, once again, it does! Thanks for the new post and pics.

Hi George,

Still very cool !

:bow:

Cheers,

Alexandre

Add comments ? What more can I say - I'm dumbfounded.

George I like to think I can do anything I put my mind to - but I have to admit to myself that I coulnd't do what you do (not without an NC at least) simply because with my best efforts I could not do that many operations without some serious mistake destroying my efforts and plunging me into despair.

I'm green with envy.

Keep up the great postings.

Ken

th_confused0052

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Regards,

Dave

The machining and the finish work on this build is unreal. The detail is pretty awesome. The work that i continue to see on this forum blows my mind great work.

I cannot believe what I'm seeing! And all done manually to boot?? I'm too broke for CNC, so there is hope! You have inspired me! :bow:

Hi George,

Just want to say....words fail me to describe the art you are making.... I am stunned, gazing at the pictures over and over with great respect that you are able to keep all those positions of machining apart from one and another. I already make mistake having one reference point in my work, cannot imagine doing something similar like you do.

Keep the progress coming, following along with great interest!

Jeroen

That is incredible work, I really like seeing what can be done with skill and experience.

I do find it hard to keep the size in my head, any chance for having a ruler or something in future pics? I am hesitant to even ask

On page 10 is a picture of me holding the 2 cases bolted together. This will give you a good idea of the size.
George

Would I be incorrect in assuming we will get to see this in person at NAMES?

Latest posts

Back