this was a gift from a very nice gentalman

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck foster

Reaction score
i was at a locale museum last weekend displaying some of my models.
there was a friend of mine there by the name of eric kingsley, he is a very kind and sweet sole.
i have had various conversations over the years with him about models and life in general.
when we were talking at last years show i mentioned that i wanted to build a small block v 8 chevy, well eric replied that he had a big block chevy 409 that he had started years ago and never finished. i asked if i could come to his place and have a look at what he had built. to that eric replied "if you come to look at it you have to take it home" :eek:
IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1078.jpg

well i was at his home the very next weekend!!
what he had was a 409 chevy block done in 1/4 scale and that was it...........so we thought!!
well i brought that home (price was right ::) )
it has been on my shelf waiting to be finished, but the big problem is i don't have a 409 to measure so i can make the rest of the parts.

so now a year has past and when i met eric at the museum this year he handed me a crankshaft that he had made and he thought it might fit the 409 that he gave me last year. well i brought the crank home and it is too long............so eric must have been building 2 v 8's............none the less i'm going to make a display stand to show off eric's crankshaft.
IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

i still want to build a v 8 but i think i will have to finish about 20 other project's or get rid of them first.

just though i would share this little story with you guys, i bet we all have a spacial person in our modeling world.........lets hear some of the stories!!

"She's real fine my 409....Giddy up giddy up giddy up 409"

that is amazing, would love to have that next to my comp! ;D

Hi Chuck, that's the biggest problem with building a miniature of something, getting dimensions. I was lucky enough to have access to the drawings for the parts we cast where I worked when I started on my 302 Ford engine. Although it took many hours to carve it out of solid it still helped not to have to measure every part. The parts I didn't have drawings for I measured off of my full sized engine, rocker covers, oil pan, bell housing, etc. Good luck on your project.
gbritnell

Hi Chuck,
When I wanted to build my 426 I bought a Revel plastic model and took the measurements off of it. Good luck!
Regards,
Roger

thanks for the words of encouragement guys, i still want to build a v8 but that won't happen for a long while :p

i did manage to get a good start on the base to mount erics crankshaft, it still has to be polished and the cap screws changed for hex head bolts.
IMG_1172.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

when it is done i will take it to erics and show him that his crank will be on display for all to see. i figure it is the least i can do for such a kind and giving man. he will share all his knowledge with anyone who is willing to listen. needless to say i do allot of listening when he is around!

i used a router bit to form cut the edges of the base and it worked like a charm.thanks to who ever suggested using a router bit! :bow:

chuck

You used a router bit? I read somewhere that you could... but have just been too iffy to try it. How did you go about it? Light cuts? Heavy?

I figure it should have worked... after all aren't most of using the HD/HF trim saw blade as a slitting saw?? :big:

Eric

Eric,

I asked this question a few months ago and got some good answers.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=590.0

Fast cutter speed, low feed speed and fine cuts are the answers. I have been doing a few experiments, just to see how far they can be pushed. Half the cutters I bought are no longer cutters. So I obtained some much meatier ones and these are now doing the trick.

It is a shame they only go down to a certain size. Otherwise they would be perfect.

NOT TO BE USED ON FERROUS, on ali and brass, great.

John

Hi John, in your experiment with the router cutters did you try the 1/4'' shaft sizes out or was it that only 1/2'' were capaple...? I have a set of 1/4'' but not tried them out yet...
All the best for now,
John.

I started on the 1/4" ones and they cut OK, as long as you take the above advice.

It was while I was playing about that I overloaded them, and either snapped the shank or wacked a lump off the tungsten.

So if you take care your 1/4" ones should be OK.

John

the profile on the base was cut in one pass using a 1/2" shank carbide router bit. it work very good, while it was cutting i sprayed
some wd 40 on it. i have not tried brass yet but it should work.

i bought the cutter at busy bee tools and i think it was $19.00.............i was going to try it on steel (light cuts) and see what happens.
if i do this i will let you guys know how it turned out.

chuck

Hi John, think I will just take the wise way out and invest in the odd 1/2'' cutter as needed... not a good idea to have pieces of sharp metal flying about my ears no matter how careful I am...
Thank's again for the reply,
John.

Latest posts

Back