The start of mine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There must be a lot of engines that you can make where the biggest diameter is not much more than an inch. Plenty of work suited to this lathe.
Very true. My tiny has a 3/4" fly wheel . the river queen engine was designed for a Unimat. And I have a friend with a sherline that scales down a lot of stuff to fit his lathe.
You should be able to turn a 3" flywheel unless I am missing something.

I'd recognize a SHED anywhere Shops sell lollies and sausage rolls...

Isn't the English language( English /American/ Australian.) interesting?
My garage used to be a carriage shed I think not sure when it was built.
My shed is where I keep garden tools. My shop is attached to my house the room has a shed roof. and part of my shop is in the basement of my house.My shop is a place where I do work and repair things . A workshop or repair shop. A basement is sometimes called a cellar. A cellar is where we store stuff. And a store is where we sell stuff. Kind of like a shop where one goes to buy things. A good Buy is a deal found in a store. And Goodbye is a departing salutation......
Tin

the Chuck came with 2 sets of jaws, I'm sure I can get up to 3 inches with it, I used it to spin up an alternator to make sure it was working. I got some material together to have a go at the E-Z engine, but that little work bench in the corner is getting very crowded with the lathe grinder and other bits and pieces on it. So this weekend I'll be working at some better work space. I'm also looking at what to do for a mill, they aren't cheap so I might see if I can come up with an in between solution. That being said I'm not going to trash my pedestal drill.

Hi Scruffy,i have replied to your question about the sieg 7x 16 vertical slide thru email
I see you are from Melbourne.My son and daughter live there
Is this your first post ? have you introduced yourself on the site

Hi Bazmak I did an into a while ago but havn't been frequenting the site too much till I got my little lathe. Having a good clean up and hope to be making some chips soon

Found your thread and see you have got a used sieg 7x?? If you follow my thread from the beggining
and check adjust in similar order you will appreciate the the unit and get to know its limitation
I got more fun doing the mods than making anything Regards barry

I haven't got a lot done on my ez engine but have finally gotten around to sorting out some new benches was running out of room and the cook wasn't happy with me using the chest freezer as a bench

DSC_0653.jpg

DSC_0654.jpg

Looking good scruffy. The bike problem is easily solved, just put a skillion roof to the side of the shed and park them there, tell the Mrs you don't want kids in the shed due to safety reasons LOL.

As for shop or shed in Oz it's always a bloody SHED, a Shed is for Blokes, shops are for women where they go and spend all your money so YOU can't buy anymore tools and toys and make a mess around the place with all your clutter and junk.

As for Blighty's comment size isn't everything I'm a bit like Tim the Tool Man Taylor bigger is better LOL, you can do little stuff on big machines but you can't do big stuff on little machines LOL. My oppinion is buy the biggest machine you can afford and fit in your "SHED" as biger machines give more stability and rigity correct me if I'm wrong.

But having said that I started with a small lathe and done a few things on it and it just frustrated me. Maybe it was just a junky lathe, it was a H&F AL50GA complete with stand. The biggest problem I had with it was parting off, the way the tool post was mounted it would start to chatter and then it would vibrate loose and before you know it sht flying everywhere because the the parting tool would slip under the jobs centreline and all hell broke loose. So all I did after it happening I used a hacksaw for parting off.

Having worked on a larger lathe parting off was a breeze so that's why I decided to upgrade to a bigger machine. Maybe it was just me, we all have our favorite hammer or screw drivers that we get comfortable with.

Last edited:
As for Blighty's comment size isn't everything I'm a bit like Tim the Tool Man Taylor bigger is better LOL, you can do little stuff on big machines but you can't do big stuff on little machines LOL. My oppinion is buy the biggest machine you can afford and fit in your "SHED" as biger machines give more stability and rigity correct me if I'm wrong.

think you may of missed the pun in that one.

but with you on what you said... get the biggest affordable machine that will fit in your shed. i just think you guys out side the UK have a different meaning to "small shed" than what we do.

jwcnc--VB is a beer and stands for Victoria Bitter, it's like cat's pee and gives bad me bad headaches when I have had too much. We also have a beer called XXXX and is drunk by Queenslanders and the only reason it is called XXXX is because they don't know how to spell "beer" LOL. I drink Tooheys Old, it's an old bastard's brew LOL

blighty-- I didn't miss the pun it's just that I have been married too long and forgoten what it is all about. LMAO

Last edited:
I haven't got a lot done on my ez engine but have finally gotten around to sorting out some new benches was running out of room and the cook wasn't happy with me using the chest freezer as a bench

So I'm not the only one who uses the chest freezer as an extra bench:D it's in my garage, so it's fair enough that I make the most of a flat surface occasionally.

Paul.

WOW lots has happened since Ive been on here, I started a rebuild of my 4x4 to replace my old car which sucked up a lot of time and money but I seem to like making things myself. Part way through my partner had a mild stroke, requiring me to be off work for 2 months and then another month back at work but part time only. Back to work now and slowly getting back to the car build but I need to get more done on that before I go back to my EZ engine. And there's plans in the works for a camper trailer. Too many projects but it wouldn't be fun without them

hilux.jpg

Very true. My tiny has a 3/4" fly wheel . the river queen engine was designed for a Unimat. And I have a friend with a sherline that scales down a lot of stuff to fit his lathe.
You should be able to turn a 3" flywheel unless I am missing something.

Isn't the English language( English /American/ Australian.) interesting?
My garage used to be a carriage shed I think not sure when it was built.
My shed is where I keep garden tools. My shop is attached to my house the room has a shed roof. and part of my shop is in the basement of my house.My shop is a place where I do work and repair things . A workshop or repair shop. A basement is sometimes called a cellar. A cellar is where we store stuff. And a store is where we sell stuff. Kind of like a shop where one goes to buy things. A good Buy is a deal found in a store. And Goodbye is a departing salutation......
Tin

Just to add a few things to think about...

We park in a driveway.

We drive on a highway.

Cargo travel by ship.

Shipments travel by car (train car).

Just sayin' :hDe:
"G"

I had a new toy arrive this week, I should be able to get some stuff done
001-1.jpg

a>

OK havnt had the chance to play with this mill untill today ant the draw bar is 3/8 unc. Everything supplied with the machine has 10mm thread. so my question is am I right to make my own bar or are these things hardened. Im confident I can turn it and thread and I can get it hardened if needs be

DSC_0101.jpg

c'mon mate! suck it and see! Whats the worst thing that could happen?
Usual disclaimer: poster has had several VB's, and a bundy. That's why he is on computer not machinery. Take any advice with a pinch.

it's made and seems to be a good thing. I had a hard enough time explaining the machine I dont know how I'd go with a replacement so soon

Latest posts

Back