The Spinster

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Robert. To give you an idea, if I scale it down, the uprights (holding the spinning wheel) are 3/32 x 7/32 x 1 and 35/64. The crank becomes 5/64 x 7/32 x about 5/16.

Hey Jim and Tel. I hear what you're saying...that's in part why I hesitate to go smaller. Still...

In any case, some soft jaws for the vise would be good to have.

bearcar1 said:
in order to get the bugs worked out

'bugs'? Is that what they're called in this hobby?
I get enough of bugs at work.

Shop time is virtually non-existent and machining has come to a crawl.
It took nearly two weeks just to make a couple of soft jaws for my vise.

I'd had hopes that with the new year and new project (at work) I'd start having some time. But I'm still putting in weekend hours and business travels are becoming more frequent. I was out of the country the past week and wasn't even able to get on the forum. The company is on a push for new products by end of year. Good news in the scheme of things (employment) but it's going to be costly in time and stress.

Even though I've been married for 35 years...what little time I have at home I like to spend with warm soft things rather than hard cold metal. Or think of it this way...You guys? Or her? (I admit one of you makes the choice difficult.)

When I can, I'll pop in with a part. This hobby isn't going away for me. And the tu-tu is protected from moths.

Five years ago I told people I was retiring in 12 years. I'm still retiring in 12 years. :big:

Who knows when I can come back to this project...in the meantime I end with how many of my posts begin...

Rats rats and crap.
Sigh.

zeeprogrammer said:
Even though I've been married for 35 years...what little time I have at home I like to spend with warm soft things rather than hard cold metal.

Five years ago I told people I was retiring in 12 years. I'm still retiring in 12 years. :big:

Sigh.

35 years? Good for you, my folks still at it after 58 years, hmm, thats how old I am, we wont discuss the short over lap period, me I've gotten to the point of "There's my Future Ex Wife" Only thing I kept from the first one was the kids, so a heartfelt :bow: to you.

But after 35 years still warm and fuzzy? Oh boy you got it bad.

As Marvs chart shows, retire, get the house paid for and just do it. I did at 55, actually took a pre-retirement leave of absence at 54. Sure the income drops, you adjust. Pop retired at 50 and is now pushing 87, still flirts with the ladys and ducking Moms watchful eye;

Retire and the warm and fuzzy will go away. Nothing better to motivate one into a hobby is to actually spend day after day, week after week, month after month with the lovely bride, Oh Lord what have I done. . .

Robert

Get retired, Zee! Someone else needs that job. ; )

I retired early, too. Worked 6.something days a week for decades. I'd rather have little money and
time to use it doing what I like than a bunch of money in the bank and be dead.

Whatever, you know when you've got it good with the warm one at home. Many men would say
you have it all when looking from that perspective!

That's an interesting article Marv. It seems incomplete though. I wonder how many of those people who continue to work, work because that's all they have or know how to do. One of my great fears was retiring and not having a hobby or interest. That's why two years ago I made a concerted effort to find or develop additional interests. After creating lists of hobbies, interests, and childhood dreams...machining popped out as a 'common thread'.

My work can be stressful and long hours are sometimes called for...but I thoroughly enjoy my job (embedded programming). It too was an interest I developed in high school when keypunch machines became available and then robots. I think that's another aspect missing in the study. Do you like your job?

One other aspect that needs mentioning is being alone. I haven't seen a study but I suspect people who lose a long time spouse don't last long themselves. At least those who don't have many other relationships such as church, volunteering, etc. (A personal worry of mine for my parents.) I think forums such as this one can actually contribute to one's longevity by providing relationships and common interests. (Although some of the awesome work on this forum might give me a heart attack.)

Point is...gotta stay busy.

But just in case...could I have the name of your lawyer?

Robert and Dean. A good suggestion but not my decision to make. ;D

The company I work for has a set of principles by which they operate. One of them (to paraphrase) is 'profit means freedom'. Or to paraphrase further...having some money so my wife can pursue her interests...means I can pursue mine. :big:

Dean...Yes. With respect to my family...I'm a fortunate man. As I've said before...a man...but not a manly man. I still need a grill, lawn tractor, and bowling ball. (But son-in-law's father gave us an old bowling ball for Christmas. Half a bowling ball is progress. But it's in son-in-law's possession. Now that I think of it, son-in-law also has a lawn tractor and grill. This is not good.)

zeeprogrammer said:
I wonder how many of those people who continue to work, work because that's all they have or know how to do.

Seems that us males form self worth thru the job, the hunter that provides not only for his own family but also for those less fortunate is respected. Now to balance that against bonehead pride, never said us dogs in the pack were smart.

One other aspect that needs mentioning is being alone. I haven't seen a study but I suspect people who lose a long time spouse don't last long themselves.

Nothing should be so important, so dependant upon, that you can not live without it.
Easy statement, hard reality.

Robert and Dean. A good suggestion but not my decision to make. ;D

Yes it is

The company I work for has a set of principles by which they operate. One of them (to paraphrase) is 'profit means freedom'.

Your labors, their profit, your working weekend, their Tee time. I know, I know, but the time comes when it a "So long and thanks for all the Fish!" is due.

With respect to my family...I'm a fortunate man.

You've hung in there for all this time, your right up there with the best of em, and ya you don't like the pat on the back so you turn to humour in your responses. Its a give away.

Life will provide for your needs, wont give you what you want, well sometimes, but point is too many confuse Needs and Wants. I want a lot of things but have everything I need.

Now to get this back on subject Hows the Spinster doing?

Robert

Just last Friday, the wife and I met for dinner at a local restaurant and I was telling her that I was still sharp enough to ascertain that I had lost the sharpness I had when I was 30. I described how it was becoming more and more difficult to stay on the cutting edge of developments in chip technology at my place of employment (Intel Corp.). Most of my coworkers are in their 30's and they thrive in the fast-paced, ever-changing environment. I'm doing well to remember where I stored the information I might be needing at some future point. She assured me that she thought those "kids" had nothing on me but I knew better. Finishing the conversation, I told her I will be very glad when I retire beginning of next year (she always tries to convince me to work until 65 but I shot that notion down from the git).

Reading the article that Marv links to only reinforces what I already suspected. I showed it to the wife. She reminded me of the old saying I'm fond of reciting: There are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics. This time, I'm sticking with the statistics. Thm:

zeeprogrammer said:
As I've said before...a man...but not a manly man. I still need a grill, lawn tractor, and bowling ball.

That junk doesn't make you a manly man! The lawn tractor is just a machine to let men mow the lawn
and drink beer at the same time. The grill is just a thing to let men cook and drink beer at the same time.
The bowling ball is... stupid, and another beer drinking prop.

Heck, I go and kill my own food now and then. Blood up to the shoulders gutting large four legged
creatures. That doesn't make a "manly man" either. That just means I don't have to go to the meat
counter at the supermarket, (and one can drink beer at the same time).

You're all the man your wife says you are. If she's happy, I reckon you've done your bit for the manly men.

Deanofid said:
You're all the man your wife says you are.

Thats Right!, The Bride always tells me what a Good Man I am as I do the dishes, of course she mispronounces Man, from her lips it comes out as boy.

Self Delusion, tis a wonderful thing.

Hows the spinster ?

Robert

Deanofid said:
You're all the man your wife says you are.

An assumption! :big:

And Robert...sometimes it's better to be the 'boy'.

T's pronunciation usually comes out as 'idiot'. ;D I can live with that.

As for decisions...when it affects the family...it's a family decision.

The spinster...gotta fix the soft jaws. I realized tonight it will be easy. I had cut a groove for a step using a 1/8" mill then realized some of the parts are only 1/8". Might be difficult to hold. All I have to do (isn't there a thread somewhere about last words?) is mill down the faces a bit.

Have no idea when I'll get to it. I'm in product development hell right now.

Trout...don't short change experience. We've got some young'uns at work and hiring more. Being the gray-back has advantages. I get to make the decisions. ;D

Experience tells you when to side-step. And if you can't run faster than the other guy when chased by a bear...you learn how to trip them.

Thats why I left Boeing at 55, too many co-workers dying on the job. Now I worked body structures so shooting thousands of 1/4 inch rivets weekly, trying to contort an old decrepit body into places a 20 year old would baulk at, not to mention the perils of constant exposure to ketone (fingers are still kinda tore up) doesn't exactly lead to a long and healthy life.

That chart tho, sure reminds me of the "Flavor of the Day" speeches they were so fond of giving.

I do remember the first few months after retirement thinking "No wonder people die so soon after retirement at 65. So wound up from the work routine, that the transition to a new day to day was hard on the body. Wide awake, wide asleep, jittery, depressed, which way is up? Took a good 6 months for the new routine of ducking the bride to settle in.

Robert

Retirement is the best job I ever had.I had to have 2 heart attacks to make me realize it was time to retire ,now life is great .

Ian(seagar)

:shrug: stickpoke th_wwp *knuppel2*

Hi everyone!

I don't mean to bubble this old topic up but it seems a reasonable place to get back in touch with everyone.

I can't believe it's been over 3 months. This topic began with, and I quote...

"Well I've got my shop back and my machines adjusted and cleaned.
Time for a project."

What a lie. The machines have been under wraps for some time now...and it still doesn't look like I'll be touching them soon.

Some of you know why I dropped out of sight for while. It was a combination of medical and job issues. The medical stuff is finally getting straightened out. A little procedure in a couple of weeks and I should be good to go. It's not good to have a stricture in a bile duct.

Unfortunately, the job issues won't go away for at least 6, if not 9 months. I go to Mexico to visit part of our development team every month. (The food is good and the people great.) And we have a major show to meet in January. I pretty much work every weekend. Sorry guys...it may be a while before I can break out the tu-tu.

And then there is 'T'. Who know who she is. The 'when can you do this' list never shortens. She's got me going on vacation in September and tells me it will be good therapy. Well...we know what therapy is good for us don't we?

Having a job is great...having no life is not. But the money will keep me in machining when this is over and that's why (in part of course) I do it.

In any case, I sure hope I have at least some time to catch up with everyone's builds and posts. But give me a while. And forgive me if I miss anyone. And forgive me for being lax. Yeah yeah...let's just say "forgive me for being me...as we all do for any one". ;D

Ahhhhh....it sure feels good.

Time to refill my jelly jar.

Latest posts

Back