The Spinster

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeeprogrammer

Reaction score
Well I've got my shop back and my machines adjusted and cleaned.
Time for a project.

It's a Saxony Spinning Wheel (aka Cinderella Wheel).
Hey! It counts! It's a finger-treadle engine and I've seen those on the forum. ;D

I got the plans for a full scale model and spent the holidays drawing a 1/4 scale version.
Paper and pencil...I still can't motivate myself to use a drawing tool on the PC.
I do enough mouse handling at work.

I chose this for a number of reasons:

1) Get more experience (better at machining) without risking a lot of work making a complicated part only to screw it up at the end.
2) Get some experience polishing (I want it shiny shiny).
3) Get more understanding of tolerances and sizes.
4) Make a gift for my daughter whose hobby is spinning (and as a bribe for the killer jams she makes).

The model will be made of aluminum and brass. Cost of materials is about $15.
About a third of that is in the pedal alone because it's brass.
Actual cost is yet to be determined. ;D I ordered several times as much just in case. Okay okay...I was wanting to build up some metal stock too.

mini-zeepster went west to stay with a buddy.
Allow me to introduce the new mini-zeepster.
I call him zeepee.
Don't confuse that with 'zippy'. I've been called that...but she wasn't too upset. ;D

Metal has been ordered. Now we wait.

What's the final goal you ask? Well I could use it to spin some thread and make a new tu-tu.
But I don't do sewing.

91e72215.jpg

Gee zeepee looks a little naked.

P.S. The pic above is just an image I found. The one I'm making doesn't look anything like it. Nothing like it. It never would anyway.

Geez, that would make a lovely Mrs Tel soother but ... I see no plans :shrug:

Zee plans...

33 parts...some 33 drawings...
Not counting screws, bolts, string, chewing gum, and duct tape.

174b8b67.jpg

It's good to see you're breaking new ground, Zee-ster. It'll be interesting to see how you make the 5" flywheel.

You might consider keeping a good amount of Borax-type soap handy for the polishing activity. The polishing compound tends to get all over the fingers and hands, depending on the type you use.

Let's roll!

Thanks Pat. No problem getting oil and coffee stains on the plans. I worry more about them turning into confetti.

Hey Trout...you're the one I think about when it comes to polishing. Don't be surprised to get peppered with some email asking for help and advice.

Nice to see you back in the shop zee. This should make for a nice project and one I'm sure your daughter will love. Those jams must be really really good too :)

Bill

Nice one Carl ;D

Hmmmm... Do you have a potential hubby aligned for the spinster ?

...We share the same sentiments on work time and CAD then, but at least your C-o-C looks a LOT better than mine :big:

I like the look of this one,I'll be watching with interest.

Ian (seagar)

Zee,

Now that's original. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks Robert.
Thanks Bill. Yes...the jams are excellent.
Thanks Arnold.
Thanks Ian.
Thanks Marv. I'll have your answer in a moment. ;D

I'll start with the flywheel.
The flywheel has a 1/4 axle.
On either side of the flywheel will be a flange (hub?), each having 2 grub screws.
One screw to a flat on the axle, and one screw that...oops and drat!
That screw was meant to press against the flywheel but that would force the hub away from the flywheel. Hm...maybe I can tap the flywheel and have it screw in instead. I'll think on that...maybe just a pin loctited in...in the meantime...

See Marv? See? I'm learning! Develop the procedure then cut! I'll leave the quality of the procedure to your judgment. ;D

Here's my BTC of the flywheel and flanges...

eae427f5.jpg

As you can see (Marv)...there's no 'spokes'. ;D I quote myself from the first post..."P.S. The pic above is just an image I found. The one I'm making doesn't look anything like it. Nothing like it. It never would anyway."

First order of business is to come up with the procedure.
Here's what I'm thinking (I'm telling you all cause there's one step I'm not sure about - not that I'm sure about any of them.)

The flywheel is 3x16 with a 4.5 diameter.

1) Cut a chunk of 1/4 x 5 x 4.5+ of aluminum
2) Chop off the corners
3) Mount on a mill
4) Drill/Ream 0.25 in the center (for the axle)
5) Bore 1/16 (maybe 3/64) a 1/2 diameter around the axle hole
6) Flip and find center
7) Bore 1/16 (maybe 3/64) a 1/2 diameter around the axle hole
8) Make a mandrel
9) Using the mandrel, mount on RT and drill the 8 holes (this is the step I'm less sure about)
10) Using the mandrel (and maybe some tape), mount on lathe
11) Turn to 4.5
12) Turn the groove
13) Round off the tips (file and/or sandpaper and/or thumb...no, not the thumb)
14) Face one side about 1/32
15) Flip and face the other side about 1/32

That means there's about a 1/32 depression, 1/2 round on both sides...but they get covered by the flanges.

The purpose of the depression is to give me enough room so I can face the flywheel down to the hub.

Should I move step 9 (drilling of the spoke holes) to here?

BTC = 'better than cad' ;D

some of you might prefer 'better than crayon'

No doubt some of you will come up with other meanings....jerks. :big:

Hiya Zee, and welcome to Zeepee. ;D
Spending time hand drawing should surly have you familiar with all the parts! Should be a fun build.
BTC... Before the Crash? Bite the Cauliflower? Been to California?

Me and my friend are watching. ;)

Dean

One of the most distinctive things about a spinning wheel is that spoked flywheel. Holes in a metal disk is going to look too industrial, especially for a jamster who is familiar with the genre.

If you don't want to make turned spokes...

I've seen wheels in der Vaterland where the spokes were long flat pieces of artistically perforated wood, reminiscent of the gingerbread devices one sees on Victorian mansions. Making those would be easy. Superglue together eight pieces of brass shim stock, ventilate on milling machine, separate and, voila, eight identical spokes.

Make the hub of two pieces. One is slotted to accept the ends of the spokes, the other plain. Insert spokes, drop top piece on, silver solder and done. The flywheel rim could be done in two pieces but its probably easier to make one annulus and drill it to accept outboard ends of spokes. Fill the holes with brass wire to make the outer surface smooth for when you cut the V-groove.

Just some thoughts.

It's going to be a cool model and an ideal metal shop project for a female.

"I do enough mouse handling at work." ??? ??? ??? (quote from your opening post)

I wouldn't spread that around too much Zeep, that's how rumors get started you know. ;D

Actually, this is going to be a cool looking project when you are done. I'll be watching these proceedings. It should be a fun build. Good luck Thm:

BC1
Jim

Hi Dean. I know that friend of yours. I hope he's good company but keep an eye on him.

Thanks Marv. Your thoughts on the spokes are excellent. What I'm hoping is that this is 'Version 01.00.00' and if it goes well...that additional versions with enhancements will be made. I had thought about 'real' spokes but decided to keep it simpler for now. But crap...you got me thinking. No...I will resist. Stick to plan.

Thanks Jim. Rumors? I should worry about rumors? What with the tu-tu and the video from that dastardly Rick (black85vette)...nah...I'll take Alfred E. Neuman's philosophy..."What, me worry?"

mklotz said:
It's going to be a cool model and an ideal metal shop project for a female.

Hmmmm... I always pictured zee as... never mind.

Lee

If it helps any...picture me as the male version Phyllis Diller.
Ah ha ha ha ha ha!. Ah ha ha ha ha ha!
But heavier...with a tu-tu...and better legs.
Oh...and less hair.
And no makeup. I don't do makeup.
You take me natural or not at all.
;D

zeeprogrammer said:
If it helps any...picture me as the male version Phyllis Diller.
Ah ha ha ha ha ha!. Ah ha ha ha ha ha!
But heavier...with a tu-tu...and better legs.
Oh...and less hair.
And no makeup. I don't do makeup.
You take me natural or not at all.
;D

I'm BLIND Blind I tell ya

Was at the shop getting the tires fer the brides car and this real cute as ya please 3 year old said I have Airy Hair, so cute when there young.

I'm BLIND Blind I tell ya

Lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky you! It will take me years to get rid of that mental image - if at all, probably scarred me for life!

Back