Thanks so much for posting your Story So Far. Your work looks great. I've been working on the same project for a few months now, but have kept quiet about it because I'd begun to think that all the Snows that were going to be built already had been. Also the quality of the work I've seen is just hugely intimidating. So, here's a pic of my Story So Far -- if, that is, I can remember how to post a photo (I've been inactive for a few years...health hiccups, y'know). It's been a most satisfying ride so far, and I'm incorporating a few of the mods that I've learned about on this site -- the preheated intake manifold, the modified cam dwell, that sort of thing...and am most grateful to all the pioneers who have so generously shared...Rustkollector in particular. Most recently I've finished making the carburetor, which I based on the Rupnow/Britnell design, also on this site. Now, here goes...if this works I'll most a few more recent pics.
The material I've been using for all gaskets on this Snow have been made from a 9"x36" sheet I bought online from Custom Accessories, Inc. It's made from some sort of synthetic material, and is 1/64" thick. I think I originally tracked it through Amazon, just searching for "gasket material." Whether or not it works is something I won't know until this motor runs, which won't be for at least a couple of months yet.
You and others are welcome to tell me that I am full of beans. A couple of things that I found: I had a lot of trouble keeping the center coupler in place. It kept coming loose. I finally ended up threading the coupling. Right hand threads on one end and left hand threads on the other end. I found that a standard viton O ring seemed to seal just as well as the lip seals. Not sure how long they would continue to seal.
Great work. I just love those little oilers! Haven't done mine yet. Here's a more recent pic of my little monster with most of the tubing work completed. As you can see the inlet manifold is preheated by coolant returning from the hot zones. Today is going to be a day about machining a flywheel. Onward!
Can you explain what the tube from the out side of the water manifold that starts in the centre and appears to run to the rear of the manifold is for. It appears there is a take -off for return coolant from the bottom of the manifold at the rear to the pump. Could you post a picture taken from a different angle? I too have a Snow I built 2 years ago with "as drawn" manifolds. It runs, but not well, and is awaiting the completion of other projects before modification to piston rod connector and manifolds (.See posts from Rustcollector.) The quality of your work is outstanding and has inspired me to get going on this engine again soon. Thanks Colin
Hi Colin -- Thanks for your kind words. So far, this has been a most satisfying project. The two tubes you mention (one at the center of the manifold, one at the rear) are actually one and the same tube, with four changes in direction. I hope that's not going to be too many. This shot should explain much better.
Put a smaller flywheel off to the side and put an air compressor on the end of the crankshaft. Years ago I saw a couple of them - one about 8 foot in diameter and the other about 10-12 foot in diameter and probably about 40 feet long. Air compressors out of a steel mill in Lackawana NY. 2 cylinders inline at one end and a compressor inline at the other. On those units the flywheel mainly served to run the camshaft for the valves.