Thank you Canadians!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weather---Pahhhhh--this isn't bad. I grew up near Bancroft, Ontario in the 1940's and 1950's. The temperature would drop to -30 F around the third week of December, and stay that way for WEEKS at a time. And when the weather warmed up---Man, would it snow!! Dad worked in the logging camps, and when the snow got up to the horses belly's, the horses wouldn't draw logs, so you couldn't get the logs out to the skidways. The snow was so deep that the loggers couldn't walk from one tree to the next. They would throw their chainsaw as far as they could towards the next tree they wanted to cut, and then half walk/half swim through the snow until they got to their saw. The folks logging Algonquin park, which was another 50 miles north of where I grew up experimented with metal snowshoes attached to the horseshoes so the horses wouldn't sink into the snow so far, so they could continue working after the snow passed 4 foot deep.-They can still be seen at the Logging Exhibit in Algonquin park. First wife and I were out snowmobiling one night---beautiful night, full moon, everything crackling with frost. We stopped at Oscar Storing's house for a drink and a visit, and it was -44 F!!!----Brian

Yes, we are approaching the magic point on the thermometer scale where Canadians & Americans are in exact agreement of temperature in either units (-40). Cold by any standard.

Fortunately in Calgary we are now experiencing our Chinook winds for a few days reprieve. Temps can go from -35C to +5C in a matter of hours & rapid air density change. Local venacular: My head is freakn throbbin, probably Shnookn soon eh? Usually the snow turns to mush & puddles for a few days, then back into the deep freeze. Good for the autobody collision business I suppose. Another famous saying: if you don't like our weather, just wait a few hours!

SNAG-0004.jpg

Please sir, may we 'ave some down this way?
Record heatwave in Queensland, Oz, this past week with temps up to almost 50C (120F) and farmers losing crops to the blast-furnace like winds.
It's cooled off a bit today, back down to around the 100F mark.
Too hot to even think about going out in my unshaded tin shed and get started on playing with, er I mean using, my newly restored Drummond lathe.

Back in about 1905, my grandfather went to Canada somewhere near Banff from Scotland. After less than a year he went back to Scotland because it was too cold in Canada!!! Then he came to Oz where, as others say above, we are looking at 40c and higher even as far south as Melbourne.

Ian.

Actually, I think the crazy weather can be explained by Global Warming.

What happens when you add heat to a system? (think heating water in a pan) It gets unstable. Unstable is a perfect description of our weather.

Bill

Adelaide South Australia.When a southerly blows it comes from Antartica,when its a northerly
its from central australia.When the wind changes we get rapid temperature fluctuations
I remember years ago driving into Adelaide temp approx 65o F. Dressed up in woolies
Wind change and within 20 minutes it was 96.Went back home and changed for the beach
Hit 104 that day

After reocord or near record lows last weekend todays high is predicted for 60 degrees f about 20 degrees higher than normal and could get close to the record high of 66 degrees set in 1975. crazy weather indeed.
Tin

It rained in Michigan yesterday. 30 degree temperature swing. But it's good some snow melted, I had a foot of snow, and only 10 inches of dog to go outside.

Herbie and bazmak are sending their weather over to us in Melbourne, forecast 43C (109F) tomorrow. Might just stay inside all day with the air con going.

Paul.

You're not a true Canadian if you have never gone winter camping, on snowshoes backpacking everything 5 miles into the bush:p

gerrit

The problem with winter camping is the same as with snowmobiling. When you have to pee with cold hands everything disappears like a scared turtle!

Oh there’s definitely something strange going on. . . . . And I LIKE IT!
It’s the Middle of January and it’s 9 C (48 F) at 7 in the morning.
Then for the cherry on top, I just fill up a 99.7 per liter.

Latest posts

Back