Thank you Canadians!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only experienced snow here during skiing trips to the mountains, too old for that stuff now. In intrigued as to what happens to your gardens under all that snow, do you plant things bearing in mind that they will be covered in winter.

Paul.

Depends on what you mean by gardens. If you are talking vegetable gardens, we plant early in the spring (generally after the 24th of May to avoid lingering frosts), some stuff from seeds, some stuff from "shoots" that have been started earlier in a greenhouse. We plant corn, beans, beets from seed, we plant potatoes from potato "eyes", tomatoes from seed or from "plants" that have been started in a greenhouse. Strawberries are always started from greenhouse stock.------------If however you use "gardens" like the English--many or perhaps even most of the flowers are planted from greenhouse stock, and they die each winter and have to be replanted from greenhouse stock next spring. Then of course, we have perennials, that die back in the fall but the roots stay alive and sprout again by themselves in the spring.--Hope that answers your question. Its been a long time since I was a kid and had to work in our vegetable garden.---Brian

I've only experienced snow here during skiing trips to the mountains, too old for that stuff now. In intrigued as to what happens to your gardens under all that snow, do you plant things bearing in mind that they will be covered in winter.

Paul.

I have fruit trees, strawberry, asparagus, raspberry, blueberry, blackberry, and pumpkins in my garden in Tennessee and they come back every year no replanting. In New York I had the same but no fruit trees and they came back every year to. Just have to plant other veggies they don't take the cold.

Todd

Jim, last year we had a month of temps of 97 F + Very high humidity! Felt like over 110. So I can relate! Eventually the East Coast cooled off, but the middle of the US got hot!

From a pome/limey living in oz heres an interesting fact
In the UK and i assume USA/Canada the water pipes are insulated
to prevent freezing.That is not necesarry here in Adelaide.Hot water is also
thermostatically controlled to prevent scalding.My house has a long run in uninsulated
copper pipe thru the roof space.Having installed airconditioning in roof spaces for many
years i Know that the temp up there can get over 70c.After being scalded many times
by the cold water supply i now know to run for 1min before touching never mind drinking
Last day todayexpected 43c then a wind/cool change and down to high 20c.Keep this
thread running lads its interesting what is classed as norm in other parts of the world

In NY USA most pipes are not insulated. At least I know to purge them if necessary!

We're in for another week of 40C+ here in Adelaide and what's left of the veggie patch is looking very poor. No amount of watering seems to help. Might just wait for winter and start again :(

He he Purple! Looks like winter reared it's ugly head again!

zpfile001.jpg

Latest posts

Back